Show us your Sondek

Happy well deserved holiday Peter @Cymbiosis.

1 Like

Hi Peter,
Lovely shot of Sakura against a Tokyo Spring Blue Sky with the Sun warming it all. Can’t beat that experience. I hope you had a Masu of Sake in the other hand!
Thanks again for your patience and generosity in indulging my curiosity. It will all pay dividends for us both in the long run :wink:
Hope you and Alison are enjoying the myriad delights of Japan :jp:
Please enjoy!

1 Like

I finally got the Sondek into service. Enjoying Massive Attack 100th Window :heart_eyes:

All 1982 original parts aside the Origin Live modded Rega arm.

25 Likes

LP12 with Aro and the heavy counterweight doing its stuff this afternoon.

16 Likes

I have got, at long last, a glass table that allows me to have the equipment at a sensible height. I will attach a photo as soon as my iPhone and this Site will cooperate to allow a photo (which is on my iPhone) to be attached.

And there they are!

10 Likes

How does it sound to you Graham??
That’s a big transformer in the Geddon right next to your Aro!
The LP12 is the meat in the sandwich so to speak! With the Nait 50 on the other side, but I’m sure it suits your situation with the downstair system :slightly_smiling_face:

KR,

Peter

2 Likes

Hello, Peter, and I hope that you’re not too jet-lagged from your recent travels.

There’s no interference (that I can hear) between the cartridge and the transformer, so the system seems to work.

If I had a doubt, I could swap the Nait and the Geddon, but the shape of the glass means that the LP12 has to be central.

I only got help in setting up the glass table this morning. I may switch them if I hear anything odd, but all seems to be okay for the moment.

Everything sounds fantastic. I still find the sheer volume of sound produced by the little Falcon LS3/5As amazing!

4 Likes

Hi
What’s the story behind the arm being rewired by Linn (not Naim)?

1 Like

Hi, Mikee, I can’t answer that, I’m afraid. After I bought the Nait50 amp, I was looking to buy a (second) ARO and (second) LP12 , and this was the only ARO that I could find.

I know that Naim can no longer service the ARO, so perhaps the previous owner was able to persuade Linn to service it for him/her.

I have no reason to suppose that it is any better - or indeed any worse - than a tonearm re-wired by Naim. I was just very happy to find an ‘as new’ one at all.

I guess that Troika is really a Goldring in essence, what remains is just the Troika in appearance.

1 Like

I don’t think that that’s right at all, but life’s too short to argue if you have made up your mind.

With a Nait 50, Falcon speakers and the LP12 , I think you have a system to envy

I am so pleased for you

Best wishes

Ian

Just an ordinary Sondek that originally dates from 1983. The motor is still original as far as I know, but everything else has been swapped at least once :slight_smile:. I bought the remains of a 1983 deck around 2008 or so, with a badly twisted plinth, without a tonearm or power card, and I’ve been tinkering with it ever since.

The current setup in random order is: Karousel / Majik subchassis / Lingo 3 / Chris Harban plinth / Ekos I / T-Kable I / AT VM760SLC (MM) with RigB. The outer plate is from the 2020’s and the felt mat from Collaro Audio. Stands on rubber feet, without the bottom plate. Lots of swapped out parts in my closet.

There’s a miscolouring in the lower right side of the plinth as you can see, that’s grown more visible during the years as the rest of the wood has darkened a bit, but it does’nt bother me that much. Wood is wood and this one’s wenge if I recall it right.

This deck runs quite nicely but would surely benefit from a professional setup as I’ve done everything by myself. No professional help available in my town.

16 Likes

Great one Kuzma

What wood is the Chris Harban plinth ?

No longer doing it but he made some amazing Sondek plinths

1 Like

Oops apologise Wenge

Missed it

1 Like

Yes, at the time I was looking for a new plinth I just happened to see this one in ebay. There were two or three of these from him for sale and this wood colour and grain pleased me the most despite the colour mismatch. I have heard that he’s done some other plinth types yet, after quitting the LP12 model?

Thanks, Ian. You’re one of the few to have seen and heard it.

1 Like

I wonder if that the wood is Wenge, which is usually much darker, as here.

Sadly, Wenge is now on an endangered list, so it is no longer freely available for music hobbyists.

7 Likes

You’re right, mine is actually Afromosia! I dug my binder and found the correspondence (email prints) from 2009. Too bad, I can’t edit my op anymore.

In fact the wood is Afromosia, just checked my correspondence with Chris from 2009.