Show us your Sondek

I think that that used to be the ‘standard’ LP12 plinth supplied by Linn. I don’t know if there is a standard these days.

If you have a Lingo 3 wouldn’t that involve a newer motor.

I thought it might be Kuzma looked too light for Wenge

I think the Afromosia was one of the original woods that Linn used in their early Linns in the fluted format but might be wrong there

1 Like

No, it’s the Lingo 4 that requires a new AC motor.

1 Like

Idk about the present Linn standard. There have been so many factory woods, walnut, ash, afromosia, oak, cherry, at least those.

I believe that afromosia and black (painted) ash were standard. Others, although factory-supplied, came at additional cost.

Afromosia is also now classified as an ‘endangered’ wood…

The list will grow I suspect, as global warming kicks in.

1 Like

Current timber finishes from Linn

Piano Black

Oak

Black Ash

Cherry

Rosenut

Walnut.

Or any paint colour match on request. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Although I’m sure global warming will play a part, the most significant issue is that demand for exotic hardwoods far exceeds the rate at which it is replenished. That coupled with the ever reducing land space available owing to demand for farmland. I blame overpopulation. A bit off topic, I know. Here’s a picture of a very nice wenge plinth by way of apology. I think this Chris Harban plinth belonged to Chris D before he went Stiletto.

22 Likes

Snap!

Here’s my Wenge plinth, made by Solid Sounds in Yorkshire.

12 Likes

On the topic of wenge plinths, here’s mine made Chris Harban (bought 2nd hand from LP12bits)

20 Likes

Nice to see another Troika in use :+1:
Lovely plinth too

2 Likes

I think there is a potential thread of what wood should be used in turntables or speakers .

If getting a Sim Plinth I would probably ask for it in eucalyptus , having driven through huge forests of the stuff in South Africa I know that it is not endangered

Bamboo would be tasty too. :stuck_out_tongue:

IMG_9804

2 Likes

There we are .

6 Likes

Hello, Ian. Solid Sounds, in Yorkshire do a plinth like that called something like ‘Timber Stack’ - ids that perhaps one of theirs? (My Wenge plinth, pictured, is one of theirs.)

Did somebody say Traditional?

13 Likes

I suspect the ‘timber stack’ in Ian’s post, above, is a ‘Boo plinth’ (bamboo).

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve had another look at the Solid Sounds website - which I find difficult to navigate. I think that you’re right about the plinth.

Yesterday was having a look at Solid Sounds website and found this anyone interested or even got one.

“If you don’t want the expense and hassle of purchasing a new plinth for your Linn LP12 that requires it to be dismantled and rebuilt when you can simply install a new SKIN™ in seconds in the comfort of your home”.

ATB Graham.