Show us your Sondek

Wenge is still able to be used for furniture etc., so I think it can still be used for a turntable.

If so, I wonder if there’s a loophole there…an aftermarket plinth is just that: a plinth - ie bit of ‘furniture’. Perhaps (speaking from pure ignorance here) use of the wood is exempt because an aftermarket plinth is not a complete piece of audio kit… I don’t know the CITES regs in regard to when/how rare woods can be used, if at all, but just wondered… :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Searching the CITES database for the taxa “millettia” gives an answer “not found”.

Searching www.wood-database.com gives the following

" Sustainability: This wood species is not listed in the CITES Appendices, but is on the IUCN Red List. It is listed as endangered due to a population reduction of over 50% in the past three generations, caused by a decline in its natural range, and exploitation."

I can find suppliers throughout the UK.

1 Like

‘‘I can find suppliers throughout the UK’’

Sad isn’t it?

I specified Eucalyptus for my speakers as it is definitely not critically endangered and I have driven through huge forests of the stuff in South Africa

1 Like

For interest:

“In Scotland and northern England, a Linn is a geographical water feature, a watercourse that has cut through a shelf of hard rock creating a narrow (usually), steep-sided crevice (fracture) through which it runs.” Wiki.

2 Likes

Further interest
Linn was Named after Linn Park in Glasgow.

2 Likes

Please go ahead, Ian.

Did you end up getting a Zeus PS Frank? If so, how have you found it?

Hi Mike,

I bought the Zeus and it works extremely well. There were other changes as well and so I can’t say what the Zeus contribution to the night and day change were but it certainly adds to the Karousel.

FF

3 Likes

I am visiting Cymbiosis on Sat 18th to determine which config of LP12 to go with a Keel/ARO. I’m very interested in the Stiletto version with a Geddon as maybe a stop gap until I can fund the KRad2. Any thoughts from you guys who either own or have heard the Tangerine version before I make the trip?

2 Likes

I know you’ve read my thoughts i.e. the Stiletto cleans things up, lower surface noise, with more detail – just improves the whole replay picture – but at a price!!

I’d suggest having a listen to the Rega Naia if you can, if only to compare things for your own ears. To my ears, the latter is quieter, very dynamic but lacks a certain oomph (colouration/lifted emphasis?) when compared to an LP12. One then asks the question as to what you’re hearing with the latter & why? Only your own ears can decide on this.

3 Likes

I’m going down the LP12 route HL. I have gone through a crazy time with the Solstice and then an SME. I really like the way the LP12 sounds and with Linn and Cymbiosis I feel confident that I can just get back to enjoying my vinyl. With respect recommending other decks now is pointless my friend

4 Likes

Good luck. I’ve been stuck in LP12 paralysis by analysis, which is quite frustrating really.

1 Like

NB: I’ve bought a classic spec geddon and have paid a deposit on the Keel/ ARO.

4 Likes

Simplinth as well?

1 Like

The Stiletto is a aluminium version of the plinth and top plate Ian.

1 Like

Wowzer, I l👀k forward to seeing it

Best wishes

Ian

1 Like

Check out post 51 on this thread Ian. Arthur-Lee posted a pic of his.

1 Like

I’ve had one for around 4 years - with a Keel and Radikal 1.

In my opinion it improved an already excellent sounding deck - I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Regards,
Andy

8 Likes

Double Wowzer, thank you for showing me the photo.

That is a serious piece of kit

Ian

1 Like