Show us your Sondek

Yes it will make a small improvement but nothing like the improvement the bearing, power supply or sub-chassis would make.
Plus if you have an LVII can I assume your LP12 is a few years old??? If so can you check where the cable exit is in the plinth please. If it looks like it is coincident with the rear stud on the cross-member you will have difficulties as there will not be enough space for the T-Kable to exit the plinth due to the presence of the larger black P-clip supplied for the T Cable. On later LP12s the cable exit in the plinth is about 30mm to the right of the stud when viewed from the back and so is ok. All is not lost however as the Trampolin 2 has a push-out at the rear to allow the T-Cable to exit underneath when there is an issue. KR, Peter

PS. if using the push out exit, be sure to ensure the sharp edge left by the removal of the push out is rounded off with a file as it maybe sharp enough to penetrate the T-Kable and cause a short!

6 Likes

Thank you for the detailed reply Peter, it’s much appreciated. I’m in New Zealand, so John Vivian and Shore HiFi would be doing any installs, so I’ve sent him your comments. He knew about the cut-out in the Trampolin, and I was thinking of adding that, along with the Lingo 4, Karousel and Kore (current spec is Valhalla, Cirkus - an 83 model).

2 Likes

What you are proposing to have done is pretty much what I did in 2020, albeit I had a “new-ish” lid and hinges and outer platter as well (plus new cartridge). The only survivors were the plinth and top plate :slightly_smiling_face:

The result was a much more “21st Century” sounding deck: think old deck Reni from the Stone Roses, new deck Billy Cobham if that makes sense.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with the analogy, but I’m assuming that you found the upgrades worthwhile?

Sorry; what I was trying to impart was that the newly-fettled deck was more precise, powerful and “detailed” without losing a Linn’s character.
I’m pleased with what was done; it brought the deck up to date, and I got the Karousel offer at the time.

Try listening to the drumming on I wanna be adored, by the Stone Roses, and maybe Stratus by Billy Cobham: my poor attempt at illustrating the difference in musical terms :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I’ve pulled the trigger on a one-off upgrade of my LP12 to a kinda of Seleck level spec. I’ll be keeping the Ittok LV 11, and AT-OC9ML/II and swapping the Valhalla and Cirkus stuff to a Lingo 4, Karousel, Trampolin 2, Kore spec, and adding a T-Kable.

Thanks everyone for your help and ideas.

I also bumped into the guy who sold me the LP12 and he said he’d checked the cartridge and it was in excellent condition.

Install will be late July whilst we are holidaying in Australia.

9 Likes

Good choices @Mike_S. Lingo 4 is a goodie, and I do think Karousel is good vfm (I know Dan was underwhelmed, but…).

I went from Valhalla/Cirkus and I don’t think I’d go back.

1 Like

@Cymbiosis may be a bit off topic but any updates on Uptopik for the KRad2?

I think that your LP12 will be an excellent spec with all those upgrades. I am sure you will enjoy it for many years to come.

2 Likes

Not as yet, but my guess is that we may hear something before the end of the year.
Having said that check out the news page on our website or your own retailers website for some interesting news as there is an offer running through the summer until 31st of August.
KR, Peter

I made a similar upgrade to my LP12 about 15 months ago and it transformed, I am sure you will be very happy. The only downside to the upgrade was that I soon upgraded my cartridge and phono stage, which allowed the LP12 to get even better.

1 Like

18 Likes

Linn LP12, Karousel, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Kandid, K-Radikal 2, Urika.

20 Likes

Sunny afternoon so a sunny record on the Sondeck and sounding as clear as a bell.

17 Likes

21 Likes

Nothing new here, but always fun to post photos.

and

7 Likes

When you get time how about having another go at the top image and seeing if you can get a better image of that rather nice LP12 setup?

I hope that this is a

better photo.

Incidentally, I thought that the new-look Armageddon PS (on the left in the photo) looked ‘wrong’ with the Nait 50, so I splashed out for an Olive replacement.

Onto the Big River (or similar) for the newer unit!

12 Likes

It most certainly is, no fog hiding that LP12.

Very nice :+1:

1 Like

Incidentally, I think that it’s a great shame that the Armageddon has been discontinued from the Naim product range. I wonder why this happened, as it must have been the most venerable item by far in the range?