Show us your Sondek

Hear hear! (Pun intended). I also love mine a little bit more each time I play a record.

1 Like

With over 4800 posts on this subject, I have not read them all, what are the three main things that made the owners choose a LP12 over any other turntable?
Just asking out of curiosity.
Thank you.

1 Sound Quality.
2 Retrofit upgrade ability.
3 Serviceability.
:+1:t2:

9 Likes

SQ
Looks.
I prefer the sq of the P8, but like the looks of the lp12 for a second TT.

1 Like

My pride and joy. Been a long journey with the LP12 over the last 6 years or so. When I got it it was Valhalla, Akito with damaged vertical and horizontal bearings (unknown to me), original white lined sub chassis but looked nice with sanded and stained plinth (originally black ash), and Goldring 1042 cart.

I got the tonearm rebuilt by Audio Origami, Lingo 1 added and left alone for a couple of years.

Got Kore and Cirkus bearing. Again left for a few years.

Then December 2023 Karousel fitted.

January 2024 Ekos 2, Tom Evans The Groove + SRX phonostage, Dynavector XX2Mk11, Trampolin 2.

Then thursday went full on Klimax. Ekos SE/1, Keel, Kandid, Radikal Klimax 2 Black, Urika 1.

Sounds incredible. I believe everything is done now and it’s all about playing discs!

29 Likes

Goodness, Dan, did you really strip or sand that plinth down from black paint? If so, you’ve done a great job.

Do you know what wood it is?

I wonder whether Linn make their own plinths, or whether they’re bought in?

1 Like

Mic drop post :slight_smile:

If it’s not stating the obvious, nice looking deck and associated bits and bobs!

1 Like

Linn don’t make anything in wood it’s all bought in.

I can’t take the credit Graham. It was like that when I bought it. The plinth is what attracted me to the LP12 in the first place.

Outstanding upgrades to TT @Dan_M. It’s where I hope to get to in the next few years. Would be good to hear your analysis of the upgrades as a whole. But yeah, time to enjoy your system for a while now. :notes::notes::notes:

1 Like

Black ash wood my old fruit!

It’s unbelievable Graeme. It was really good in January this year. But now it’s completely different level.

One thing I would recommend is getting a great MC cart. I picked up a nearly new Kandid for £1400.

The Keel, Radikal 2 Klimax black I reckon have made biggest difference.

Kandid and Ekos SE/1 icing on the cake. Urika 1 makes best use of Radikal 2 and reduces box count.

So difficult to tell as 5 upgrades done in one hit on LP12.

DNA audio did a great job on installation and I got a brand new Urika 1 and Radikal 2 Klimax although I paid ex demo price.

Lots of bonuses and I absolutely love my LP12. Only thing which is original is top plate, plinth and outer platter.

And of course 552DR done at same time.

4 Likes

I appreciate you have a few upgrades together and it’s difficult to separate them out. Just wondered what the overall impression is. I’ll probably ask again in a few months to see how it settles in for you.

I’m most of the way there, looking at kRad2 next then a phonostage upgrade over my Stageline N. I use mm cart’s at the moment but that can change.

1 Like

Graeme,

The sound is completely different since January. Deeper bass, lower noise floor, sumptuous, textured timbres, micro detail beyond belief.

Vocals sound life like. It sounds detailed, solid with wide soundstage, full depth and breadth of sound.

It sounds forward and yet delicate. Compared to NDS it is in a different league.

I really can’t fault it. It doesn’t feel lacking in any way. The better the production the better the vinyl plays.

So given what you have I would seriously consider fitting a used Kandid and Urika 1. The Radikal 2 you have should be great!

I noticed a few Kandid’s used and thought why not. Purchased for around 1/3rd of new price worked out well. There’s guys out there getting Ekstatik hence the deals! I was just going to fit the Dynavector XX2 Mk11.

I was going to do alot of things different. But then thought f@#% it go full Klimax!

6 Likes

IMG_0466

2 Likes

Exactly @Skeptikal. You are an influencer! Very happy with Urika 1 by the way. All sounds incredible.

3 Likes

1 Sound quality
2. Modular, upgradable design. You need never throw it out/sell it on/buy another TT
3. Looks (fluted afro plnith especially) and build quality

4 Likes

I can’t help but go back to 1984 when a colleague asked me why I was not considering a Pink Triangle instead of a Linn. History has answered that one I guess.

Mind you, as I have said elsewhere, I like turntables as *objects * not just as music reproduction devices. If I could, I would have a collection, being rather partial to an “oil rig” :grinning:

Had a PT as well. So, got that T-shirt too.
An amazing turntable, which was as good as an LP12.

Like you say, time sorted that argument out.

Those of you who know LP12, ran into this, might it be something to spend a few hundred quid on?

15 Likes