Show us your Sondek

Hah hah, it was in reference to ratrat’s plinth, though I’m sure you realised that!

2 Likes

Thanks @Blackstar, it’s great to know that there are others still using and appreciating SO tables. I don’t feel completely in the dark age.

Re the Avatar, it was obviously chosen for my football allegiance and not due to any larcenous tendencies, though I love picking up nuggets of precious information from this forum. I am originally from the NE but have been in Yorkshire nearly forty years. I should know better by now but It still ruins my weekend when Newcastle lose, which happens all to frequently.:frowning:

1 Like

Great looking LP12 @Blackstar, the plinth is really beautiful. What is the shelving arrangement under the deck?
Lovely SBLs also, I always wanted a pair, but I cannot get them back to a solid wall in our flat.

The support is from ‘solid sounds’ and plinth, glass and all ‘metalwork’ is included. I swopped the cups for three Naim cups that was all.
Yes, just outside Sunderland for me, Penshaw near the monument. Luckily I’m not into football, therefore annoyingly for my son-in-law who’s a another mag and can’t really make comment!

Should I !? :laughing:

Hi @Debs,
Curious to know what the double layer platform that you have under the TT on your Tiger Paw shelf there is? Mine is a single layer of a plastic type material and I’ve noticed recently that it’s slightly deforming and bowing downwards either side of the single, centrally located spike at the front - presumably under the weight of the TT. Is this why you have a different solution I wonder?
Kevin

1 Like

Hi Kevin,

it’s an archive photo from 2015 (as is below) at a time when testing the the thicker version shelf from Tiger Paw, also tested and preferred the Tiger Paw supplied thinner type shelf, but also using glass, cup & balls. The weight of the LP12 is supported on the glass span, and the weight carried though the front cup & ball and though shelf directly above the spike under, so no deforming problems.

<>

Whole system has since undergone a room reconfiguration, and LP12 presently sits very happily on naim fraim:

22 Likes

Debs, I just know that sounds terrific.

1 Like

Thanks Debs,
I have a spare Fraim glass and bearings so I could set things up the same as your old configuration. I’ll give it a try.
I’ve also been thinking of just putting the LP12 on top of my power supply Fraim too. I think I want to try that as an alternative. Ergonomically, it would definitely suit better. I’ve a hunch it’ll sound better too. Just need to source one more black shelf with medium height, silver legs on the cheap…

1 Like

Hi Debs,
Love your little furry friend on the floor. Not sure about the LP12 move but you know your system better than anybody else.
I won’t mention the other speakers here as I did in the past.
Enjoy it.:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Angle chosen to show both my latest updates. I took advantage of the Linn offer to get a ‘free’ Karousel bearing. The only downside was that I had to buy a Kandid to qualify for the free offer. But that downside most certainly has big upside potential. The Kandid is rather good!

23 Likes

That was my last upgrade. I really enjoy what the Kandid and Aro does together. Love that Wenge plinth. Looks like a keeper for years to come as Harban has stopped making LP12 plinths I hear.

Scott

I know you have shown them before but those SBLs are gorgeous!

2 Likes

Aside from anything else, that’s just a really nice “close up” of that wonderful wood plinth.
Great photograph. Good shout for solid plinth.

Thanks. I do still have a soft spot for fluted plinths though, particularly oak or, even more so, ebony. But I’m also very fond of the unfluted Woodsong wenge which I currently have.

Hey @Clive very nice rig :+1:
Do you still have the Troika ?

No, I sold that and got a Krystal, which I kept for a few years until a couple of weeks ago when I upgraded to a Kandid to take advantage of Linn’s offer of a ‘free’ Karousel bearing. Sadly, even though my LP12 is now quite high spec, it’s still outperformed by the ND555.

There’s a pic of my current LP12, just five posts back.

More flutes.

1986 Linn Sondek LP12, Afromosia plinth, braced internally. Also, with Valhalla PSU and mid 80’s style chassis and bearing, (pre Cirkus), etc.

All remarkably simple and works just fine.

Until very recently, completely original with little or no work all these years. Many years of sterling service.

It came from Sound Advice in Loughborough. (Remember Derek anyone)? Which is the same place my much loved Epos ES14’s came from. IIRC a few years later, late 80’s. But that’s another story.

My LP12 is currently undergoing service and some upgrade work. Hence the arm missing.

The tonearm - Linn Ittok LVII - is away with Audio Origami for some TLC - service and check over the bearings - after 34 years great work.

Members interesting in details of the work during this project can see pics being posted to “Show us what’s inside”, (or maybe simply follow other postings from my profile).

9 Likes

Sure. I saw the one above. Great photo and I love the wood plinth on that one.

It’s a good shout for solid plinth

Hmmm. Fascinating.

Any thoughts or comments on the differences (character) between Troika and Krystal ?