Show us your Sondek

Nice… :grinning: Good to see another ‘vintage’ LP12, in ‘fluted’ Afro, still doing service.

My LP12 also came from Sound Advice, back in the day. As did my 250… :grinning:

1 Like

My Troika had been rebuilt by ESC, but it never seemed to be as enjoyable as I remember a new Troika sounding, but that was different system, different room etc.

The Krystal was OK, maybe a bit better (more analytical?) than the rebuilt Troika, but again there had been other changes in the turntable: the Troika was with Kore, Akurate Radikal, Linn plinth, SS top plate and Linn Silvers; the Krystal was with Keel, Klimax Radikal, Woodsong wenge plinth, Tangerine Karmen top plate and Chord Super Sarum. So any difference attributable to the cartridge was probably lost in the mix!

2 Likes

Thanks very much for those thoughts.

I’ve recently been musing Krystal or maybe a retro approach with a Goldring rebuilt Troika, (a nostalgic trip down memory lane to an earlier time with my LP12).

I’m currently thinkingTroika, just for fun. (As I get lots of neutral and analytic with other sources I have here).

Thanks again. That was helpful :+1:

I’m in a similar position albeit a fair way behind you on specs. My LP12 is completely outclassed by my NDX2. For me the investment needed to get it up to spec is bordering on not being worth while, this doesn’t stop me spending a fortune on LPs though! My next bit of kit will almost certainly be a ND555 and CD 555PS as trying to get an LP12 upgraded to this level is er… difficult.

Another LP12 from sound advice, great dealer.

1 Like

Just back this morning from Karousel Klinik together with a nice new black phono cable. Tranquil now back in its box.

27 Likes

Sunday sun soaked Sondek

50 Likes

What a lovely picture!

2 Likes

Very nice! My Rega-equipped LP12 will never see light like that, as it is down in my ‘family cave’.

1 Like

This LP12 has been with me in various guises since 1990. Keel, Karmen, Radikal, Karousel, Ekos SE, Skale with a DV XV1S. I’ve not gone for the Trampoline (no base board fitted) or Linn/ Naim phono stages, instead using a Whest ps.30.rdt se. The only upgrade to the LP12 I’m considering is an XV1T, but I want to add a 2nd 555PS to my ND555 first. Currently the LP12 beats the streamer on SQ fairly easily.

23 Likes

This is my new Sondek purchased earlier this year for a new system in our small study. It started out as a Majik LP12 but has been fitted with a refurbished Lingo 1, Ekos 2 and hardly used pre-Cirkus bearing. It’s partnered with a nice pair of Kan 1s that have always been gently used (never put into storage) and serviced 42.5/110. Despite owning a Klimax LP12, Klimax Kontrol, etc. in the past, this is the best system I’ve ever had. Love it. Obviously, my taste is not like most peoples but it keeps me glued to the sofa.

58 Likes

Great system (why complicate things?).

5 Likes

I think a lot of people here would be in shock at just how good that system is :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Quick query. Was the Keel significantly better given the price difference when compared with the Kore?

Never compared. There are a couple of folks prefer the Kore to Keel although they tend to keep quiet about it. I never compared myself.

What’s the rest of your deck? It’s just that the whole Akurate and Klimax thing has been around for a good few years now. Products like the Kore, Krystal, Lingo 4, etc. would have been developed one after the other with the current Akurate spec deck.

I know Source First can be applied to mix ranges and get the most music for your money, but not sure how well balanced the end result will be. Probably fairly safe with all modern components but I personally don’t think Radikal/Ekos SE sound right with pre-Cirkus bearing and steel subchassis, as one example.

1 Like

Kore and keel need to be demonstrated on a deck speck that is for certain, there is a new kid on the block from Tangerine audio called Phoenix

I need to demo Keel vs Phoenix the rest of my deck is Kilmax level, had the Kore on my deck for 4 years

Linn suggest Bearing, PSU, Sub Chassis, Arm and then cartridge as the best route

2 Likes

Original LP12 from 1988! Now with Kore, Karousel, Trampoline and Ittok rewired with silver wire and new ceramic bearings and 3rd party PSU comparable to Lingo 4. Only plinth and cover are original now. Feeding Avid Pulses phono pre amp. I’ve been told by my local Linn dealer Ekos will be better but probably disproportionate investment. So looking for best option, but super happy at the moment. I find clean stylus and clean record are a major factor:-)

35 Likes

I have a Roksan Sara mounted on AI Sole VIII sub-chassis and it sounds great. I wanted to get a Tiger Paw Javelin but that couldn’t be. So I got a Sara to replace an Nima. IMO the Sole VIII is as good as a Keel and can do Rega mount.

3 Likes

My LP 12, now with Karousel. Huge upgrade … less noise, more space, even more music.

LP12_1
LP12_2

25 Likes