Show us your Sondek

LP12 from 1987, been in the loft for the last 20+ years and now back in action. Added a Radikal, Karousel, Urika 1 and a Krystal. Sounding great and brings a new experience in listening to music that replaces the IPad with an Album cover to read!

43 Likes

@AndyJ just what your system deserves!

enjoy! just got your Kudos bady brothers 505, love the 808’s !

1 Like

Yes, saw your other posts on the 505’s, lovely speakers. I had 707’s previously but maybe one day I will end up with 505’s myself.

Loving The Archer picture.

1 Like

Bought my 72/HC/140 from David. Still using it all in a second system. Great guy. I hear he still trades from my friend Jack. Good story, love these chance moments.

Should have an Aro on the LP12 to go with that :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Moody shot, will be looking at either Keel or Tangerine for next (and last) for ths sub chassis

rest is Karsouel, Kore, Ekos SE, Urika, Tigerpaw Khan, Radikal, DVxx2

28 Likes

Very nice. Very similar to my deck except I have Uphorik instead of Urika and don’t have tiger paw.

New LP12 with Karasel bearing fitted with a very nice condition Ittok, AT33EV cartridge and Hercules power supply mounted in a remote enclosure as it no longer can be mounted in the deck. Though not a high spec, it does sound good through my 72/hicap/180 into refurbished MK1 kans.

36 Likes

Just before the first lockdown I decided to bring my 1981 sondek up to modern(ish) specs. Knowing that the Goldring Troika refurbishment would take a while, that was sent off first. I then set about collecting the various components on the used market.
In a moment of madness I’d modified it to a Pink Linnk back in the late 80’s, so I needed a replacement top plate, Kore, motor, Majik power supply, Cirkus bearing etc etc. As a first birthday present I bought it a nice new shiny outer platter. Purely cosmetic, but it just pleases me.

34 Likes

I love the fluted plinth and the shiney outer platter. Looks superb!

2 Likes

I polished my outer platter up to a high sheen using car polish compound to rejuvenate the look and it worked pretty well!

3 Likes

… Which has many uses, beyond just Cars… :sunglasses:

Fluted Plinth LP12 Owner here, too, circa 1983…

2 Likes

Fluted is preferred :+1:

3 Likes

When I first put it into refurbishment, I held my breath as the plinth is original and doesn’t have the corner bracing.
Luckily it passed so I get to keep it as it’s now nicely darkened with age. I must say that the one thing that blew me away about the whole exercise was just how many practically new parts are readily available because of the upgraditis of Linn owners at a fraction of the list price.

3 Likes

Found this on a UK shopping site:

Can get different size framed prints and different albums, Pink Floyd, Kate Bush, Smiths, etc

19 Likes

LOL. Loving their site. I think I need one of their comfort blankets.

1 Like

Another expensive visit to Rearsby today…

OUT are Kore, Roksan Sara and Linn Silver I/C’s.
IN are Keel/A, ARO and Chord Sarum T I/C’s.

Very lucky to find a beautiful, well looked after ARO, complete and in excellent condition and that Peter tells me measures perfectly (impedance of the arm tube apparently; a “spot on” 0.4 Ohms in this case). I never thought I’d find one and settled on a Roksan Sara a year ago. The Sara is a lovely arm, but on a Linn can never have a better Sub-chassis than a Kore.
I don’t think the sub-chassis is the whole story of course; every time I’ve heard an ARO it just sounded so ‘right’. Subtle, airy, perfectly seperated. Just more like music, less like HiFi.
Having changed the I/C from Linn Silvers to Chord SarumT we demoed Keel/ARO vs Kore/Sara and it was immediately obvious.
Expensive day as I said, but my new turntable is a sonic wonder. So beautiful. Not too shabby to look at either!

32 Likes

Is the Chord cable specially terminated for the Aro? I have an Aro but wasn’t aware of an aftermarket cable. Interesting!

Hi @fordy. The Chord is a 2xRCA to DIN interconnect. It runs from the RCA outputs of the Urika to the 552 DIN input. Works with any arm that is or can be made compatible with a Urika. It’s not specific to the ARO.

3 Likes