Show us your Sondek

Is that a Walkman Pro!?

Compared to the L4, the L1 casing is a much better design. I think it’s better to have all the cable connection on one side / one end only. (Unlike the L4). This is a better arrangement for organising on a rack, etc. The way the L4 is designed, you’re led to hide it out the way somewhere. Presenting the L4, on a rack in the same way, doesn’t work so well.

Maybe a small design detail. But an important one for the user

1 Like

It sounds great. Its difficult to compare - as the Lingo was ‘gone’ for some weeks, at Class A - but it certainly sounds good. Even with the ‘as received’ 30 years + old Lingo it was good - a clear step up from Valhalla.

So thats £350 for the pre-loved Lingo Mk1, plus £85 for the service/recap, plus £60 for the correct filter-less mains inlet - total £495.

2 Likes

Its a Sony WM-D6C - so… yes it is… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Ahh… I had to look up how the Lingo Mk4 is. The connections are on each end - so I agree - as you say - it looks ‘messy’.

I will stick with my Mk1… :heart_eyes:

1 Like

This is mine. Rather regular. Klimax with Aro and ART1000.

21 Likes

IMG_8651

IMG_8652

New Ekstatik and Radikal 2 upgrade installed this morning and sounding fabulous from the off. Lots of listening to do this weekend perfect weather for it!

25 Likes

Looks great, very interested in your thoughts on the upgrade? I’ll obviously demo but am considering the same upgrade next year

Time to update your profile info then :wink:

BTW is that a Harban fluted walnut plinth by any chance?

1 Like

Clive thanks for the reminder to update my profile… duly done! I’ll have to remember to update it again next October when I turn 75 as I will then reach to top age tier…eek!!!

No the plinth is my original Linn plinth purchased in 1988 which has certainly seen some upgrades during its lifetime.

It was fortuitous that I had a replacement Kandid on order before the Ekstatik was announced to replace my 7 year old original one and then Linn just happened to announce the launch of the Ekstatik so I was able to change the order for the latter.

Although having the two upgrades done together, it is maybe hard to distinguish what is attributing to what but first impressions of the new upgrades are…

a:) The Radikal II … a quieter background improving still on that of the Karousel bearing and a greater stability in pitch on long sustained notes and a overall sense of togetherness of the musicians playing.

b:) The Ekstatik… it certainly boogies, the timing and dynamics are a big uplift from the Kandid which I had previously. It also has a wonderful sense of space and openness. As we all know it is so difficult to put into words what one is hearing, but if you are in the market to upgrade you should certainly audition… you won’t be disappointed!

7 Likes

Consecutive, contradictory sentences if ever I saw them @silklee !
I’m assuming that TT sounds pretty special.
Re-reading your thread from a few years ago I think @Debs asked about Keel Aro, but I don’t think I saw an answer ( apologies if I missed it), but wondering if you have the Keel in the mix?

Yes, it’s with Keel and Karousel. I thought it’s “rather regular” as I have seen many LP12 with really nice exotic plinths like woodsong, top plate from other manufacturers etc.
I think it sounds really good, especially after the karousel. Pity the radikal2 was announced like a few weeks after my karousel upgrade, else I might have just done it together.

1 Like

Good views there thanks Michael

Early days I know, the karousal was a massive improvement

Do you think the Radikal 2 is giving or will give equivalent improvement ?

Difficult to say I guess at this stage

I have the Radikal 1 machined with PL12 Klimax. The upgrade without purchasing a complete new one is approx $4,000 Aussie dollars, say £2,000 British pounds

Would be interested in your findings on extended listening ?

Cheers Bevo

Oh those flutes… my '87 vinage afromosia plinth is a little bit worn, but I think it’s got character…

26 Likes

Classic combo Ratrat. That looks such a lovely deck :sunglasses:

8 Likes

14 Likes

That look is bought with time. It’s priceless and beautiful.

5 Likes

Thanks. I always liked it, just the way it is.
To my eye, an LP12 is fluted, ideally with an Ittok (or Ekos).
To be fair, it was probably in good condition to start with. It’s been much loved.
Hopefully, it’s good for another 30+ years now.

But the credit for such a nice restoration has to go to the experts…

• Johnnie @ Audio Origami
  • Dave @ Goldring
  • Tony and Graham @ Basically Sound

I’m so proud of what these guys have done together.

I would also add this Forum - the Naim Community - to the list.
It’s possible to learn so much, if you wish. The knowledge shared is amazing.

Just listening to Coldplay Parachutes… :notes:

4 Likes

Thanks Graeme.

The plinth is faded and has a few chips in it, the top plate has scratches and the platter long ago lost its sheen and now has a pleasing patina. It looks like what it is – a 34-year-old, much-loved and well-used record player.

7 Likes

Such a nice expression. Says it wonderfully.

2 Likes