Show us your Sondek

I’ve lusted after a Sondek for the last 40 years, even though I haven’t owned any vinyl for the last 25. These pictures make my engineer’s heart so glad. An object of beauty and elegance. No finer looking turntable, in my opinion.

6 Likes

Thank you. I too think about this as an “Engineering project”. There were several people involved - experienced “artisan” technicians - and several technical challenges to overcome along the way.

It’s amazing that an item 35 years old can be taken apart and reassembled, albeit with lots of newer bits. Testimony to the endearing nature of the Sondek design…

Lastly, I agree about the beauty in this object. I’ve always like it, just the way it is. I think it’s look really attractive. To my eye an LP12 should be fluted and have an Ittok (or Ekos). And so I don’t wish to change how it looks. Maybe that’s just a nostalgic idea on my part.

KR
R

4 Likes

Thats like mine… :sunglasses:

3 Likes

And where, on the LP12 Plinth, would we find the initials of the builder…?

Depends…! Sometimes inside the plinth on earlier LP12s and on later LP12s on the back/serial No plate.

KR

Peter

3 Likes

Checked mine - from 1981. Nothing on the outside. Hence my question… :thinking:

Without Alastair’s permission, but lifted from @Signals latest newsletter. Hope he doesn’t mind.
Oak with flutes. Nice to my eye. Might need the lower panel of the plinth to be stained black to look REALLY cool IMO. I’ve always thought that was a key part of the fluted look. Balances out the depth dimension, separates the different angles and looks sleeker overall for me.

12 Likes

I prefer the chunkier look of the plinth without the blacked out lower section. It’s just a light coat of matt paint (not stain) by the way, so is relatively easy to remove or add as you wish.

7 Likes

Some essentials for meticulous setup

1 Like

Lovely old very late Ittok LVIII with a Kore armboard…

18 Likes

Linn Majik LP12 with Lingo 1

16 Likes

Not exactly an LP12 but related.
There was only 40 ltd ‘40th anniversary’ decks made and they were sold out pretty quickly.
During the dealer visit one of the plinths (made from Highland Park oak casks) was passed around. They looked at me quizzically when I held it to my nose and breathed in deeply. “Well you can’t smell the whisky, you should have impregnated it” I said which got quite a laugh. Would’ve made the cueing that little bit more special!
These were the little keep sakes we were given along with a double album.

8 Likes

I have one of the 40th anniversary LP12’s Blackstar

Wonderful product - the plinth is amazing, couple of little knotty bits in it from the barrel, very solid piece of wood, a very impressive sounding deck

And the 40 year old bottle of Highland Park whisky that came with was rather special I must say

5 Likes

Nice one. Yes I would’ve preferred my small bottle in the gift set to have been filled with that!
You must agree though, cueing up with the mild smell of whisky would’ve been cool :joy:

Yes indeed very cool. Wish I was there

I have obviously missed something here, but where have the last few days posts gone &, perhaps, why?

A different thread perhaps? Last post on this thread was Bevo’s above from 5 days ago. Nothing since then until yours today.

This possibly :thinking:

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/radikal-2-demo/19134/34

Or maybe this one…?

A couple of shots of my SimPlinth in high gloss Indian rosewood. I contemplated fluted but this one drew me in. No regrets.

28 Likes