Show us Your Tablette 10

I love the look of those Something Solid stands, perfect match for the Tabs.

I also just received my SS-6 stands and am using them with spikes and Fraim chips for my vintage ProAc SuperTablettes.

No problem screwing in the Gaia iii in place of the spikes - and no problem with the slight angles e of each leg of the tripod stand?

2 Likes

No they are standard M6 thread and the rubber base on the Gaiai is on a pivot. It might not dampen as well if not straight down but can’t say I notice any detriment and its an improvement over spikes and rock solid stable. I had them before getting the SS6 or Tabs so was not going to let them go to waste

1 Like

Thank you!
Best
Gregg

Can’t say I am a fan of the looks. But as long as your happy.

2 Likes

Those look great HH. I have always liked the open frame style stands, and Something Solid have been one of my favorites. Shame they won’t be available anymore!

You mentioned in an earlier post that you were using Atabite-loaded Solidsteel stands. Can you describe the differences between those and the Something Solids? I ask because I have ATC SCM7s, which are a similar size to the Tablettes. I started off with mass-loaded Custom Design FS104s, which were great in some ways, not so great in others. Bass solidity, detail and imaging were extraordinarily good, but the PRaT seemed to suffer - I was getting a kind of static sound, impressive in its way, but unengaging. I had Mark make me a pair of Something Solid stands to my specifications, and they seemed to restore the life in the music, but the tradeoff was a lighter bass and a smaller soundstage.

Anyway, the lesson learned was that the stand is an integral part of the design of any standmounter. All the rave reviews for the Tablettes (especially the Signatures) have piqued my interest. My ideal speaker has the innate musicality of the SCM7, but with a bit more solidity in the bass and a more generous soundstage, and the Tablettes seem like a top candidate.

I’d say that the Something Solids make the music more lively and open. The sloping back leg on the SS6 means that the speakers will always be a certain distance from the wall, and I’ve been able to halve that distance with the new stands, which has helped the bass. Overall I don’t see any downsides.

I tried ATC 11s when I was choosing between them and the T10. They did sound good but needed more distance from the wall than was ideal, and they were too big and a rather dreary brown. The T10 is, to me, a prettier speaker.

1 Like

I liked the Solid Steel stands much more, they are kind of sculpture looking.
I understand if distance from rear wall could not be optimized though, that’s an important issue.

HH’s new stands are really not my cup, the visible cable hanging behind is not a look’er too.

4 Likes

Cable easily tracked down one leg if it were an issue. I’d swap mine for those if they were still available and like them very much.

G

Hmm … would be inclined not to strap a speaker cable to a lump of steel. They just needs the kinks smoothed out, which may happen naturally given time.

Good idea - the wires do look a bit scruffy. I’ll get Mrs HH’s hair straighteners warmed up.

I’m impressed with everyone’s attention to detail!

If you’ve ever used N-Sats you may be familiar with Naim’s suggestion that letting the cables hang loose can give a small improvement. Whether that applies to other speakers and cables is another matter, of course.

HH’s attention to details and perfectionism is rather unrivaled imo.
As I understand he abandoned the Witch hat cables due to the zebra color, even being behind Fraim.
Quite amusing.

How easy are they to level though HH?

Best

David

More amusing is the fact that I have never owned the Witch Hat cables to which you refer. If you want to take the piss, please get your facts right.

Surprisingly, they were an absolute doddle. I was rather dreading it as I’m not at all keen on levelling speakers. So a nice surprise.

I’ll put my spanners and spirit level back in the shed then!

From where I often sit to enjoy listening to music, the speaker cables are hardly visible. And given that the interconnects between sources and the amplifier can be clearly seen, it’s pretty obvious why black and white look-at-me cables would be a bad idea.

I wonder if anyone else has gone for the Tabs. They really are wonderful speakers.

7 Likes

Nice. I think Mrs HH’s ghd’s have restored uniformity.