Show us Your Tablette 10

I did Nigel but not the Signatures. I tried them for a while with my 32.5/Non-Naim PS/110 and then my Nait 2 when I decided to get rid of the pre/power and put the Nait 2 in the main system. They are good speakers and I enjoyed them a lot but the music really returned when I put my Guru Juniors back in. The musicality was back. I found I was listening to the music again and not the system.

Just my impressions.

1 Like

I suspect they need more power than a Nait 2 can provide. I dithered between a Nait XS3 and Supernait 3 but something told me that small sealed speakers need a bit of welly. That something also told me that a small revealing speaker would thrive on really good sources. And so it transpired.

2 Likes

I use them in my office; they’re great!

That’s more or less the conclusion I came to. The Tabs were better with the pre/power combo. Beautiful little speaker though. Makes me curious about the Spendor 4/5.

1 Like

My Tab 10’s really sing with the 172XS and NAP200 amp. I use my iPhone to stream Qobuz hi-res and the results are outstanding.

1 Like

Lively and open is definitely how I would characterise the Something Solids. My speakers sit in a shallow bay, making many stand designs difficult to accommodate. I had Mark shorten the outer back outriggers, so that the stands could sit that bit closer to the wall. Even with that, I still find the bass a little wanting (though of very good quality).

I suspect I’ll need to just bite the bullet, and try both the Tabs and the SCM7s with both stands, and take my time deciding which set of compromises I like best.

Although often compared to one another, I would definitely avoid putting those in the same bracket, they are really that different, and to me the Tab10 Sig is in another league.

Prior to buying the ProAcs (blindly) I was at a dealer to audition the SCM7s, they were fed by a Hegel H80 integrated amp, in a nicely treated environment — I spent approximately an hour listening to well known tracks, I had brought with me. They sounded good, ordinary if I may say, nothing special, no specific character, a tad bright maybe, not sure whether this impression was due the combo Hegel + ATC, which might not be of a good synergy, haven’t listened previously to Hegel gear. Finally, I was not convinced I should buy the small ATCs, regardless of all good reviews, after I heard them I knew this was not what I was looking for, although I was in search of small monitors.

Bought the ProAcs and at the very moment they arrived in my house, from the very first minute I heard them, their sound character, everything I have read about them was absolutely true, I could easily tell they are far superior to the ATCs. Now, I am aware that Hegel H80 is different than my SN2 and probably my (bad) experience with the SCM7s is mostly due to the lack of synergy between those brands, and on the other hand Naim + ProAc is well established if I may use this expression and this could be the reason I like more the ProAcs, but I will probably never know whether this was the case.

5 Likes

That’s very helpful, thanks. After my Kans, I had Linn Katans for several years. I auditioned PMC Twenty.22s, which I didn’t get along with at all, and Harbeth P3ESRs. I then tried ATC SCM7 and 11s. Among all those, the SCM7s were my favourite. I’m surprised you found them bright. In my system and room the treble, if anything, sounds a touch rolled off, and it’s quite difficult to make them misbehave. I suspect that, though they work fine with a wide range of amps, they really respond well with some serious power up them. If I was set on making them my endgame speaker, I imagine they’d sound extraordinarily good with a pair of 135s.

Unlike the Tablettes, there’s not much out there about the SCM7s, and yours is the first review I’ve come across that compares the two. Definitely tips me a notch or two in the direction of “life’s too short, just buy them and get on with it.” :innocent:

This was just an impression, which easily could’ve been due to bad match with the Hegel, they are known to be power demanding, more than the 11s even. If I am not mistaken there are people here on this forum feeding them with 500 level systems, which I assume at the end of 135s would be a pretty nice setup.

Nevertheless, I would still pick up the Tablettes, they are just different and nicer looking definitely IMHO.

1 Like

What about if you toe them in a tad so they are firing a bit more at your listening position?

This was my experience as well, which surprised me. I had assumed that the bigger and more expensive speaker would be more demanding of upstream components, but I found the opposite to be true.

I’m using a 552DR/250DR, and my 7s are more than capable of doing justice to them. Re upgrading to 135 / 300 / 500, I don’t know if I want to contemplate increasing my box count (complexity, cable dressing, etc.). From all the comments, my sense is that the Tabs are less power hungry, despite having similar specs.

I’m happy with the tonal balance as it is. Any rolloff I’m hearing seems to be innate to the speaker, and is mild enough to come across as part of its character, rather than an anomaly that needs to be fixed.

ATCs used to have a reputation for being ruthless and somewhat clinical, but the big redesign 7 or 8 years ago seems to have changed that. To my ears, the 7 and the 11 are a touch smooth, and are noticeably unfatiguing to listen to.

Are you thinking of trying the 10s in place of the ATCs?

Yes, definitely. I bought the 7s almost six years ago. I don’t think the Tab 10s were available then, or if they were I didn’t know about them. If they were, they would have been at the top of my list.

Given the realities of Covid and the general time / hassle of properly auditioning and comparing speakers at home, I’m feeling a temptation to take a punt on a pair of ebony Sigs.

Go for it. With your system they’d be great I’m sure. They do take a long time to run in and open up though. My previous speakers were Naim SL2s, which are wonderful speakers, but with the little ProAcs I really don’t miss them at all. It’s fascinating that you are over in Seattle yet the products from a tiny business like Something Solid make it all that way.

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated. Re the Something Solids, if it wasn’t for this forum, I wouldn’t have thought to try them. Back in the day, my only source of information was the monthly hi-fi magazines and one or two trusted dealers, and buying from anywhere other than a local dealer was a major undertaking. So it’s doubtful I’d have found out about them then and if I did, it would have been a big undertaking to order a pair.

I’m sorry to hear that Mark’s not making them any more. I’ll be holding on to my pair.

@Corry

I have had SCM 7, HTS 7, Tab 10s and Tab 10 Sigs.

Main setup is 32.5/hicap/250.

Right now I’m forced to use HTS7 because they are wall mounted and out of reach from children. They sound great but if I had no constraints I would go with Tab 10 Sigs in a heartbeat. They have the “it” factor.

1 Like

If you wanted a slightly larger standmount speaker, the ProAc D2R’s are also fantastic.

4 Likes

I’m sure they’re comfortably better than the Tablettes, however, the size and the (reputed) need to be a bit away from walls probably rules them out for me.

1 Like

Jon Honeyball, once of this parish, was genuinely shocked at just how very good indeed the SCM7 sounded when driven by a NAP250DR.

He considered them to be something of a giant killer, so long as the giant wasn’t his other speaker - Naim DBLs driven by a 6 pack of NAP135s. I though they sounded pretty good too (!), especially when controlled by an S1 pre-amp that he had on loan …

Having complimented the SCM7, I still have a pair of Proac Tablette 2000 Signatures from errr 2000. There’s something about Proac speakers that we really like.

Best regards, BF

3 Likes