Show us your tuner

Is that a Booplinth @marksnaim ?

(sorry for off topic I know it is the Tuner thread not Sondek thread but couldn’t resist)

I’m surprised that you have stacked the three QUAD items in that order - I would always have the tuner on top.

Incidentally, the 606 power amp is a considerable update on the 306 shown in your photo.

It is.

And here are some pictures of the tuners I enjoyed over the years. In random order. :slight_smile:

BR,
Richard

10 Likes

The larger amplifier that could replace the 306 was the 405 of course.

The 606 was part of the 6 series which appeared later and the physical “design language” is different, so it would look out of place with the FM4 and 34.

As I often say about old Quad equipment, there is a 405 and a 606 in my loft as it happens.

1 Like

Below is a thread I started some time ago which led to people posting about their lovely tuners.

3 Likes

Way back I had one of these it was a super chunky tuner with the big flywheel tuning dial ah memories. :thinking:

5 Likes

I’ve found some pics of the Tuners I had later than the Hitachi in order of purchase.

IMG_9856

IMG_9857

IMG_9859

5 Likes

Thanks guys, keep them coming.

1 Like

@Debs - interesting, I guess in the loft protects from the elements but impact on sound quality? @davidhendon ?

There’s only one batty bird goes in that attic. :partying_face: :wink: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :rofl:

2 Likes

My RS G14 is in the attic, but has no detectable impact on SQ in practical usage for the stations I listen to. I guess because the 50kW from Beckley is only 5.5km distant.
More distant & various local low power transmitters also perform well, e.g. I can get the BBC’s from the 100kW TX at Sutton Coldfield, this is 120km distant, although R3 has some low level hiss.

3 Likes

The Creek looks very nice.

4 Likes

Thanks Clive I wish I’d kept it but went DAB
Mistake. :roll_eyes:
No tuner in the system now just iPod touch in dock.
The little Creek T40 is still highly regarded pure analogue radio but does require occasional fettling for drift. :frowning_face:

1 Like

I had a Pure DAB tuner similar to yours back in the day, albeit it was silver rather than black. I was very disappointed with DAB and then soon enough when I saw the bit rates used, I understood why.

About a year ago I threw a few bits of unloved or otherwise obsolete electronics into the recycling skip at our local tip and the Pure was one of them. It looked ok but it sounded execrable.

1 Like

Same model I’ve seen it in silver I thought I was doing myself a favour especially as I can see the main transmitters from my roof.
100% signal but a best nitrate of 128kbps :-1:t2:

Yes the main DAB transmitter for our area is about a mile away and clear line of sight from our house. You can get a DAB tuner to find the stations if you just stick a single wire a few inches long into the aerial socket, so really it didn’t need the proper DAB antenna I fitted up on the roof. I think R3 used to be 192 kbps and stereo so could have been worse but R4 was often in mono and I forget the bit rate but it was low.

Actually this reminds me. I should take that DAB antenna down some time and throw it away!

1 Like

I used a QUAD system - CD67/FM4/34/606 with ESL67s - before I bought my first Naim equipment in around 1999.

I still have most of the Naim equipment, although the CDS2 “died” recently.

3 Likes

The Marantz and Kenwood tuners look really good , highly desirable. I know that Kenwood became Trio and you never hear about them these days .

I do so like the look of Denon these days , i can’t say the same about Marantz.

You wouldn’t think they were under the same ownership

1 Like

Over 30 and still going strong. Roof aerial. Long may the FM signal continue. Live music on a tuner is a great listen.

10 Likes