Showing sample rate container with Asset

Okay… I’ve been a couple of hours trying to get Asset to show the file sample rate as a browse container.

After various searches etc… I came up with the idea of a custom tag with the sample rate entered as a text string. However, assuming I can get it to work - and I can’t at the moment, that means modifying every track/album.

Any quick/better solutions?

Thanks

@anon4216120 I think in the additional tree it gives you a bits option 16 or 24 that should sort most of it out or do you want to distinguish 44,96,192 etc?

As @Xenasys says there is a browse tree called bits off the additional option which would allow you to filter bitrate. I’m not sure how usable it is though.

An approach using a custom tag as you suggest may work better. You can use additional tags in Asset but you have to mess around with a file called MediaDatabaseFields5.txt. I did an explanation on this for some classical tag editing I was doing which you can adapt for your use case. It’s here https://community.naimaudio.com/t/classical-music-and-asset-upnp-server/514.

I think you could add the tag quite quickly in MP3 tag. If you get it to list your whole library you can add the bitrate and frequency fields into the list view. If you then sort by these you can then highlight groups at different bitrates/frequencies and update the new tag in one go.

1 Like

I’m not so sure this is that easy; metadata tags are listed as ‘bitrate’ & ‘frequency’

Frequency is OK & is consistent across all format/codec e.g. 44100, 96000, 192000 etc… but note its not 44.1, 96 or 192, but I don’t see a problem to program this into a sort code.

A problem shows up with Bitrate
In uncompressed format such as WAV, all tracks show the same numbers but is not listed as 16 or 24 bit sample rate, its kbit/s & these numbers are a multiplier of sample rate x channels x frequency - e.g. a 24/96 file shows as 4608 kbit/s.
Addition problem comes up with bitrate numbers in compressed FLAC codec, the bitrate number is different on most tracks. For example looking at a 24/96 album I see 3015, 2871, 2780, 2965, 2813 kbit/s on each consecutive track.

If you have Asset set to transcode FLAC to WAV then you won’t see a changing bitrate with each track.

1 Like

That’s part correct, it always shows the uncompressed bitrate, transcoded & not transcoded, WAV FLAC & all formats. What shows is the data stream at the endpoint.
The point I’m making in my post is related to making Asset able to sort by sample rate and/or frequency. As there is no metadata tag for sample rate, e.g. 16 or 24, I don’t see a way to write a software program to achieve this.
I suspect there might be a workaround, but I then ask why would you want to sort by sample rate anyway.

Yes… I’ve seen that but I mean 44/48/etc…

I was holding off on anything as drastic as retagging the whole database… the reason is I do a remote backup based upon changed files and, if I did this, it would have to sync over a terabyte; it’ll probably take a week and kill our home internet in the process! I did 15gigs of files last week and our internet was effectively down for 6 hours! I could copy to a local disc and then goto the remote place (work) and copy the files across but SWMBO has got me staying away from work at the moment. :frowning:

1 Like

I’ll create a new ‘instance’ of asset with a limited file set just to see if the theory works.

Works…

So how can I associate an icon with the new field?

anyway what you do is edit MediaDatabaseFieldsv7a.txt with the new field name.

then create a browse entry in AssetUPnPDefinedBrowseTreev7.txt

What I did is MM4 (the manager programme I use) calls the Custom tags with the words, for example, Custom1. So what I also did was add an entry in the remane file to make Sample Rate appear for Custom1.

Answered… create a new image in “C:\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\AssetImages”

Sorted… so this method works. Perhaps I could do the whole music database in stages and arrange for the backup to happen after 9am.

Hi @anon4216120 what are you trying achieve with the Sample Rate Tag?

1 Like

For some artists I have several copies of the same album… cd rip/download/etc… I was after a quick way to select an album with a specific sample rate. So Joni Mitchell I have a cd rip of Blue (44.1K) and also a 192K download of Blue. But both albums are called Blue. I did try to adopt adding sample rate onto the album name but that looked messy. tbh this whole episode has been more of a ‘I’m bored because I’m waiting for DiY parts to come in the post’ type of thing.

And now I put into words why I was doing this I realise this hasn’t helped because I can’t, at a glance, see Blue is available as a 44K rip and also a 192K download. The whole process was pointless - a learning exercise anyway :wink:

Where I have duplicates I have moved them off to a separate area that can’t be seen, just keeping the best.

I’m not sure why you would need more than one copy?

Ok i get it now, there’s no easy way i suppose its how disciplined you can be with the tagging and folders.

Good Luck

I too can hide duplicates and prioritise Hires over CD, or vice versa. I use Roon :grin:

Roon was just too busy. Unbelievably cluttered screens and it don’t have the search tags I wanted… am I the only person that uses AlbumArtist as their primary search root? Also the ‘app’ wouldn’t run on my windows 10 laptop; it would simply show the roon logo and get no further. Reading the forums this issue isn’t unknown.

I’m not sure what you want to search for, perhaps you could explain? When I used the Naim App I always browsed in the same way I would browse my LPs (in Artist alphabetical corder).

A working Roon core just has the Windows tray icon visible, there’s nothing else to see. Or did you mean it stuck at the splash screen?

No your not the only one

I prefer album artist too and Roon doesn’t have that view, only Artist which becomes overwhelming as it incudes contributing artists too.

I’ve worked round this by marking all artists that I would consider to be an album artist as a favourite artist. This overcomes the issue.

Other than this I really like Roon and find the Naim app very primitive in comparison.

1 Like