Signals Kudos event

It made the difference in that demo room on the first day with the 707,s not on song with an NDX2/555 ps with the bass not in control. To the next day, when they sounded great. Interesting you are enjoying over and above your NDS, as you had one at home before. Keep us posted.

Not Demo the 555 = ND555 . Because you will have to buy it.

Game-changer as they say!

I have had that conversation with my beloved and after listening to the ND555 this evening there is no going back.

1 Like

Serpently is, Nigel ā€¦ resistance is useless! :smile:

this second step arrived quickly, since the last 552. Lucky guy! Another future lucky guy with a pre loved nds too for little money probably.

Yes, quicker than I anticipated but Alastair at Signals made me an offer I was powerless to refuse.

3 Likes

A problem I am noticing is that I put together a playlist on the app and it occasionally crashes and the list is lost. Never had this problem with the NDS.

Probably a topic for another thread as I do not want to hijack this one.

I had one of those from my dealer! Getting a bit common though now, arenā€™t they ? :grin:

2 Likes

Nigel,once youā€™ve heard a ND555 in your system Iā€™m afraid resistance is futile itā€™s a cheque book job for sure.

Enjoy.

Other than the ex demo offer, what engages you this time? That did not before. It still sounds brilliant thru a 252, as we found out on saturday.

Gazza, Iā€™ll be brief as I donā€™t want to hijack this thread.

The ND555 moves on from the NDS is pretty much every way. Detail retrieval, bass depth/grip, a more natural presentation, good old PRaT and just sheer musicality. Although more visceral, it maintains a poise and grip that makes everything more relaxed but totally engaging, although that might seem like a contradiction.

I will update in more detail in a more appropriate thread.

It would appear there is no logical order in going NDS to ND555 first or 252 to 552 first. What I do know is the ND555 and 552 deserve each other. BTW, I was a bit concerned that my 250DR would let the side down. Not a bit of it. The upgrade to the ND555 shows what a hugely capable power amp the 250DR really is.

The only thing that bugs (scuse the pun) me is the app seems more flaky on the ND555 than with the NDS. Possibly I have a setting that needs setting!

I never use playlists, so cannot help you there. I have found it pretty robust. If you still keep having problems, join the beta test group via Naim support, at least you will have the latest software and know what is going on. Anyway, well done and enjoy.

Nigel,you seem rather taken with the ND555 I thought you would once you hear one in your own system a game changer indeed.

I use playlists and have yet to have any problems one thing I will say is having used a NDX for several years you do need to get used the the different app and remote control variations between the old and new steamers.

1 Like

Sometimes pictures are not enough -

6 Likes

I have found exactly the same!

Sorry to read that you guys are having issues with the Naim App, so, since mine is proving to be rock solid, would it be any help if I list the user settings on mine?

Ignoring the first two, Standby and Style,

Output Settings : Din

Input Settings : Everything enabled down to Preamp
Preamp 1: not enabled
Remaining Preamp inputs : all enabled, including Internet Radio.

System Automation: enabled

Other Settings :

Auto Standby : never
Server Mode : enabled
Display : off during playback
Stay Connected : enabled

These are probably the settings you have already, but worth listing mine, since the app is trouble free here.

Donā€™t ask me to explain the logic behind any of these settings, since Pete the Guru from my friendly dealership set the thing up! :roll_eyes::joy:

Thanks - though I should have been more clear in my observation - my ā€œissueā€ is that there is always a bit of a delay in the app connecting to the ND555 even when it is running (when itā€™s turned to standby thatā€™s a different thing). Once in there it seems fine. It was Pete of acoustica what set mine up - is that the same Pete as for you?

Thanks Dave, thoughtful of you.

I will check my settings.

Hi Tim,

The very chap, and he has a much better grasp of things than I do!

Iā€™m not experiencing any delays here, and I suspect that the answer lies with oneā€™s network setup ā€¦ listen to me, I almost sound as if I know what Iā€™m talking about. :wink:

Here, the router connects directly with an Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station, and from there a hard wired ethernet cable runs to the rear of the house, and connects to my Cisco switch, which also accommodates the ND555 and HDX server, together with an Apple Airport express, for the purposes of wi-fi to the iPad.

I seem to remember you saying that you have solid walls and flagged floors, making it difficult to run an ethernet cable, so I wonder if this is responsible for any ā€œdelaysā€, as I assume youā€™re relying on wi-fi between your router and the Naim kit?

Sorry I canā€™t offer any meaningful advice, but with any luck, one of our resident networking experts will be along shortly.