Simple Tips For Better Sound

I ditched the rulers, the spikes, and I’ve just been shoving them around. And then I started tweaking them. Literally tiny movements. I figured my hearing isn’t millimetre perfect so why should my speakers be? And I kept tweaking. My speakers aren’t the same angle, they aren’t the same distance apart from my seated position, I’m talking degrees and inches, not feet. But they sound perfect to my imperfect ears now after god knows how many adjustments. The biggest change I’ve noticed is separation of vocals and instruments, and space between them. Not just horizontally, but on the front to back axis. More depth.

But in my experience 100%; my Titans hugely benefit from the gentlest of gentlest toe-ins

5 Likes

I’d agree. The dealer moved my speakers forward a bit which got rid of some bass boo I’d been experiencing. When he toed them in all remaining bass boom went and vocals moved forward and became clear. General clarity improved too but I suspect this was due to the reduction in bass.

2 Likes

When I had my Titan’s firing straight ahead as recommended by Kudos there was a touch of splintering on vocals ands instruments. When I toed them in a bit the splintering became a touch of congestion and confusion.

Don’t get me wrong they’ve always sounded amazing!

But now I’ve reduced the toe-in to a very small graduation, the uplift in cohesion is so much that I don’t question it anymore. It’s together and just sounds right!

It’s difficult to explain if I’m honest.

Less tweaking, more listening.

2 Likes

I turn my system off at night. Its mostly none Naim.

If you do the same let it warm up for 30 min before serious listening

Never ever bothered since setup a few years ago, think i lost the tool also.

I find this the best tweak

A 10 inch by 10 inch piece of tin foil.
Folded corner to corner four times and encapsulating 9gms of pink Himalayan salt.
Then placed within the back left second down shelf of a fridge freezer next to 50cm ball of tightly bundled cling film.

5 Likes

Outrageous and so misleading.
Everyone knows you need a small ball of mozzarella in the cling film.

2 Likes

Listen to live music regularly. Notice how little it sounds like your hifi.
One less thing to obsess over.

2 Likes

Listen to live music as often as you can. In between listen to music on your system and remind yourself of the miracle of recorded music, and actually how remarkably close at least some music is to what you hear live (you need to get the sound level realistic first!)

5 Likes

I’ve always found that disconnecting your speaker cables and placing the positive (red) in your left ear and the negative (black) in your right ear from time to time generally reduces any feedback and distortion. Of course this isn’t for everyone and you should always consult your dealer before trying it for yourself.

1 Like

Don’t always listen from the sweet spot. Every now and then stand up and walk around a little, as to simply enjoy a different perspective. Next time around just sit towards one of the sides, you’ll find a new appreciation of your system and the music alike.

Hifi dog thanks for information regarding torque settings for atc speakers just wanted to check my scm40 passive

1 Like

Replace the hearing aid batteries for an immediate uplift or to avoid intense whistling remove them

2 Likes

BTW make sure you turn your amp off before attempting this!

1 Like

Sprinkle holy water approx. 3 feet in front of the speakers and say 3 ‘Hail Marys’.

Dust the system down and make it look brand new again - always helps.

1 Like

Live music - over rated - all that coughing and people chatting.
Send your partner / pet out and turn the volume up on your system.

1 Like

Other brands available. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: