SN2 vs SN3

@Mike_S …some where between 1 and 10,000 or more dollars, pounds, euros or choose a currency you like to spend on hifi!

1 Like

In Hebden Bridge there is the Muse Cafe and record shop. My late wife described it as the most expensive cafe in the world. I think that’s unfair, Sid’s vinyl prices are very good.

4 Likes

Mike be careful that could end up a very expensive cup of tea. :thinking:

1 Like

We’re going to the zoo instead…

1 Like

She, s making a monkey of you Mike…but much cheaper😁

2 Likes

There’s always later this afternoon :+1::notes:

2 Likes

Safer choice. :+1:

1 Like

my SN2 balance is in the same position too

but otherwise there is no change with increase or decrease in volume levels

regards

I survived a trip to the dealers. But we did discuss a Super-lumina interconnect as a good “next step” and a Headline/NAPSC as a headphone stage upgrade off the SN2.

1 Like

No, you haven’t survived. Talking is the first step to spending. :grin:

3 Likes

Possibly, never says never, I say. But having a summer sabbatical is on the cards as I’m a bit burnt out :face_with_raised_eyebrow: and being self employed, that means income free and then an overseas trip is next for my long suffering family :sunglasses:

1 Like

Think I might finally get a Fraim rack and SL speaker cables than hang my hat up. Those 2 items will add another $6+ to the total.

2 Likes

How are the speakers going?

Just listening now, they are quite impressive. It’s a long weekend here so I’ll do some A/B testing with my old pair and make my mind up on Monday night, however I think they’ll be staying which means I need to find a home for the old ones.

1 Like

Wouldn’t the SN2 w/HiCap provide a better headphone experience? The HiCap would improve the entire preamp section of the SN/2 including the headphone amp.

Yes, that’s a good question and observation, one I hadn’t given much thought too. I don’t honestly know the answer as I haven’t compared A to B. Some forum members have said that the Headline out performs the SN2, but the SN2 headphone certainly sounds good to my ears, so it’s not a high priority on balance. I have noticed a lift in performance on the headphones this week as it happens, and it is all sounding very nice.

I prefer to do a long listen with the new kit and at the end put the old kit back in. Did this morning with some speaker cables…true signal audio revelation at £2 k versus Naca5. A bit inconclusive…naca5 takes some beating.

1 Like

A HiCap should be used with an SN/2 or SN/3 when comparing it to the Headline. In other words money spent on the Headline and power supply would be better spen on a HiCap which would not only benefit the SN/2 headphone experience but also improve the overall performance of the SN/2.

1 Like

Just read a review in Smiths (but I forget in which magazine) on the SN3 and the reviewer concludes for those who own SN2 do not need to exchange for SN3 as an upgrade. I suppose the new Supernait 3 is vinyl orientated with a little tweaks to improve the sound.

2 Likes

I enjoyed reading the review of the sn3 in the latest issue of HiFi critic. Very informative. Having had the sn2 I am rather curious about the sn3