Solar / Battery Storage considerations

Your solar install should be happening soon I recall Mike
Hope all goes to plan

1 Like

Yes, booked in for this Tuesday and Wednesday, though there is some rain forecast. I’ll post some photos once it’s underway. Quite excited about it.

3 Likes

Great
Sunny days here recently - only getting about 8kwh from our system in the winter months - thats as the installer forecast- but not making a big enough dent in the bill - still spring and summer should see the fun times kick in

1 Like

Do you get a lot of shading in winter? Our forecast is 18.6 kWh for June, but we are quite a bit further north than you.

yes we do- lot of tall trees around , solar production when the sun is out is only really between 10am and 230pm for us in Sydney in winter months

1 Like

I am expecting a positive impact on the SQ especially my power amp of a battery wall supply. Any views on this?

Your battery will have its DC inverted to AC ( before your hifis power supllies turn the AC back to DC.)

It is this inversion process that will make or break it.

1 Like

And, depending on the install, you could have two types of inverters.

The micro inverters on each panel, turning their generated DC unto AC, and the inverter that turns your battery voltage into AC. I’m just trying to get clarification on what my set up will be.

Just a comment on returns and investments - according to one report I read, one based in the States, having solar panels installed on one’s house can increase the sales value of said house by a small percentage. Of course, probably more significant in warmer climes.

Nonetheless, there is data to back that claim up in the States at least. Although, possibly not relevant to every location, it could indicate a trend elsewhere as fuel prices remain high or further increase over time.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve seen research out of the US and Australia showing that having solar will add value to your house, and normally exceeding the investment cost. In addition, having solar is seen as being attractive, making it easier to sell a property. This helps with the economics as the return on investment is a direct return with no sunk cost (I.e. the invested amount of money is secured in the capital value of the home and the reduction in power bills is a real return on the investment).

1 Like

I think it did add to ours when we sold but it’s hard to put a number on it.

1 Like

Here is a very good report from Matt Ferrell from his vlog Undecided, about his 2 year experience with Solar Panels. He usually provides a very clear overview assessment of his topics and this is where I refer to the report mentioned above which he uses in his report.

2 Likes

Sorry, it was actually this one. 4 year review.

3 Likes

Good summary. My prediction was 4233.6, but my first 3 years production were 4614.4, 4616 and 4625, and all on track for under 9-10 year payback. I intend staying put in this house, but good to know that house value would have increased as a result of the panels - especially I expect with the current energy price increases.

2 Likes

The bit none of us know, is future electricity prices. But it will almost certainly only go one way. More demand, and higher ( traditional) generation costs.

1 Like

It depends on how the likely big increase in cheap renewables (wind) gets balanced with generation not matching demand perfectly. If storage were free (which it absolutely isn’t) then the cheap generation of wind in the uk (including offshore) would reduce generation. But of course it’s jolly expensive to move generation from windy periods to calm periods. And i don’t have any great understanding of how the balance will be managed

Absolutely, before the price increase I was getting almost exactly 10% back on my investment each year. I’ve already clawed back 7% in my current 4th year and I am only 5 months in

1 Like

I see that the national grid trial with Octopus energy of paying more at peak but very cheap overnight is being considered as a national roll out. Suppliers views are being sought at the moment for potential launch in a few months.

This makes a lot on sense, and is particularly useful for battery owners and Vehicle to house setups. Plus is particularly helpful because the old grid structure isnt fit for future demands of energy.

However just wondering, as more people start to use vehicle-to-house for peak times, then charge the car overnight, will the demand for electricity at night eventually take over the 4-6pm peak times? Quite a balancing act to perform here

We changed power suppliers to a company that has 3 rates. A high peak (7 - 9am, 5-9pm) a lower shoulder rate (9am - 5pm) and a low night rate (9pm - 7am) and a free hour of power a day (excluding the peak) that you can set everyday though their app. This a great plan for us, we have our spa on the free hour (it’s our biggest power user), run the heat pumps before 7am, and with solar, will shift the hot water so that its only on the lower rates. The plan is all about shifting use off the peak, as peak demand is the issue rather than generation itself.

1 Like