Solstice turntable for £10K

Wonderful ! How it compares to Solstice or Klimax lp12?
It’s a hell of a turntable :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Let’s face it all three decks can be great along with several other decks out there. Very apples and oranges comparing them.

I listen to a lot of Classical/ Opera and Traditional Jazz on vinyl and the rock solid clean SME sound lends itself very well to those genres. If you liked the older SME models then I’m sure that you’ll be very impressed with the latest ones.

1 Like

All good points and I hope they do find good homes.

I am not however sure anyone who has taken a bath on one (almost 10k in 2 years!) would be so sanguine!

Current prices are certainly an incentive to keep hold of them. Good job it sounds amazing!

1 Like

Naim hi fi normally holds and retains its value quite high, so i’m quite shocked at the depreciation value of the Solstice turntable has gone. Maybe one day in years to come it maybe well be sort after and become a bit of a collectors item and the value will go up.

2 Likes

The “normal” excellent residuals we associate with Naim amplifiers and digital sources are due to them being top level from a sonic perspective with very good reliability and servicing when needed. A powerful cocktail!!

2 Likes

Are you saying the Solstice isn’t ?

Read up the thread and it seems that is what he is saying although would be interesting to know what problems led him to that view (for me anyway).

Maybe read some of his glowing posts from before he sold it to get a good idea. The solstice has its faults, but sound quality is not one of them

I stand by all that I’ve previously written . The Solstice as a package is good but not great IMO which is what I have always stated. The deck and arm are excellent sounding. Comparable with LP12/Keel/Radikal/Aro when the Solstice is powered by a 300.

However the way in which the arm wasn’t designed to be used easily with a wide range of cartridges is perplexing and yes I had to deal with a couple of reliability issues. If I had my time again I’d give it the swerve because of these reasons. But to those who own one and are happy with their turntable chill out and enjoy!

2 Likes

Plus there seems to be some selective reading going on. My reply to Roosters question “ how does my SME compare with LP12 or Solstice?” My reply was “they all can sound great”. The fact is we can only speculate why the Solstice isn’t realising good residuales on the S/H market. It is a thing though isn’t it?

2 Likes

To me Naim could have said some more positive remarks about the future upgrades of the turntable……. We now know the new 300 can be used, a new counter weight in the works……poor marketing, ill thought out, shame.

3 Likes

At least with the SME 20/3 there’s nothing to improve. And you can adapt a big majority of cartridges.
With the Solstice, if you want to improve, you loose money on the Equinox, phono stage, and you are very limited by the cartridges choices.

1 Like

The SME is built to last as well. It will probably be my last turntable. Sounded great last night with old favourites like Peter Green’s In the Skies. It can rock as well. Fitting Naim spec BNCs to my Mogami IC’s bought from Tom Tom well worth it. Old school Naim methods still apply!

3 Likes

Built like a tank, not the nicest to look at maybe compared to some, but certainly isn’t going to fall to bit’s anytime soon.
As said i liked mine, and the new updates probably have sorted out the issues i had with mine, and why i got rid.
Anyway enjoy

2 Likes

Looks are in the eye of the beholder as they say but then I couldn’t get on with the looks of the Solstice. Don’t think I’m alone in that, so maybe that partially accounts for the depreciation.

I actually liked the look, but i know some call them oil rig decks.
As a mate did to mine at the time, but he had a LP12 so obviously knows nothing about what a good turntable is. Lol

Not sure how you come up with that idea w.r.t. digital sources. In particular transports and even DACs don’t score high w.r.t. reliability and ability to service. Amplifiers are another matter with great longevity, especially chrome bumper kit

Let’s see after the honeymoon phase is over. It sure looks like a great bit of kit though and sure it sounds brilliant as well. I heard a Gorbe fitted with an SME arm and a top DV cartridge which sounded pretty amazing.

Very good :smirk: