Speaker audition recommendations with a difference

Age helps as well Gazza :wink::joy:

2 Likes

Tell me about itā€¦my kids have knocks on their limbsā€¦they are over it immediatelyā€¦me groaning for a day or soā€¦thats life, enjoy.

2 Likes

If sound and weight are the criteria, how about some of the older (ie, second hand) PMC speakers, forget about new, those transmission line speakers weigh a ton and can fill any room.

Built to last. I got rid of my FB1s because they were too heavy (I have had bowel surgery) and they were almost unmovable. Just temporary until the children are older. In other words my speakers had the problem you should have had. Oh and they really go nicely with Naim

Magnepan speakers can easily be moved when not in use and sound fantastic, I replaced mine with Spendor D9s though as they were not popular additions to the cottage decor. That said they may not be ideal for what you are after and I did get tired of moving them around.

Iā€™d take the dealer up on the home demo option. Shame the Spendor D9s wonā€™t fit. Spendor arranged a 14 day home trial and matched the finish to my furniture. Iā€™m sure others will go the extra mile too.

Good luck with your search.

2 Likes

Alexander Acoustics Concrete.
Google this. You should come across a great offer.
Squat and very heavy with great drivers and front ported.
Thatā€™s not going anywhere.

2 Likes

Crash test approved! :wink:

Well being delivered tomorrow for home demo are PMC twenty5 26.
I am looking forward to it.

3 Likes

I agree with this; Fact 8s could fit the bill nicely. The two possible issues I see are (i) IMHO they deserve more than an SN (the 300 Popeye is contemplating would be excellent) and (ii) they are thin and deep so moving them in and out might be problematic, stability not weight being the issue.

Until recently, I ran Fact 3s with a 250DR and they were particularly good with vocal music and small jazz ensembles. Fact 8s should be even better.

Roger

Superb speakers. Wish I had a room big enough to take the bass they generate.

I suspect you will find the Kanta 2ā€™s hard to pass on. They are a stunning speaker, and donā€™t need a ton of space (front ported). They will work very well in your set up.

1 Like

Unfortunately Iā€™ve had to rule them out. Donā€™t fit under a shelf.

Be interesting, my rooms not massive and asking around seems lots use in average sized and arraigned living rooms.
Broached this subject with PMC themselves today and they say can work fine in fairly small rooms and donā€™t be deceived. The literature on there website does a little graph comparing the range. Obviously take this with a pinch of salt. :+1:t2:

I think it just depends on the room size and construction, the speaker position, and the listening position. Itā€™s worth experimenting. Keep the speakers as far from corners and room boundaries as you can.

Hope it works out for you.

Here here. I have the xl6ā€™s driven by Naim amplification and they sound awesome - and they are very heavy!!

Over the years Iā€™ve owned 4 pairs of neat speakers. In fact after my second pair, I went to demo my third pair of speakers (which were a temporary stop gap speaker) with the specific objective NOT to buy a neat speaker because I wanted to try something different.

I demoed Rega, Proac, Totem and it was all rather ho hum. The dealer ended up having an ex demo/orphan pair of neats which he had sitting around as neat were no longer distributed in the country. As soon as l heard them playing, I realised the way they voice their speakers is the way I love to listen.

1 Like

At the moment I have to say these are sounding fabulous!

7 Likes

My initial opinion of these PMC Twenty5.26 is they are outstanding.
I think I must be very lucky as there is certainly no excessive bass or brightness with them in my room. Vocals are incredible and with upmost realism. Bass depth is incredible yet so tight and clean.
The Supernait2 certainly doesnā€™t sound out of its depth and has somewhat shocked me just how good it actually is!

Popeye

4 Likes

Glad you liked them in my demo, they just stood out from the other speakersā€¦enjoy

1 Like

While they always look absolutely massive when I see them at the local Audio T, they look really good in the room and not overpowering at all. Given their size and weight I wonder if it will prove possible to avoid the need to move them backwards and forwards. It would be great if it could.

2 Likes

Agreed, thanks HH. Yes in all honesty in someways they look more sensible than the Totems and they now seem more toy like on reflection.
Iā€™ve not yet had a real play moving them about obviously but having tried moving them in and out about 6-8 inches, not much of a difference. Certainly not enough to be bothered doing it for normal listening. Need to give them more time however. :+1:t2: