Speaker Build - Fusion

Hi all.

It was a popular thread last time round, so I thought I’d post this build too. I have made this speaker before and I loved it. A friend also loved it so he bought it from me. I then built a different pair of speakers, which some of you are probably familiar with. Since I sold them, I have missed them greatly. They just had a magical synergy with my room and my ears. The time has come to rebuild!

Troels Gravesen - FUSION 3 way classic - passive version.

1” Tweeter
6” Midrange
12” Bass

13 Likes

Very simple cabs. Nothing flash. Butt joints, glued and screwed. Easy and fast.

4 Likes

Midrange cabinet.

1 Like

I’ve added some depth to the construction and used double thickness panels in a few places to fill the extra volume. Like behind the midrange cab and the top and bottom.

2 Likes

Bracing added. All panels are 25mm MDF. Bar the lower brace. Tweeter panel in place.

One of the bass drivers. For marking up the hole in the front panel.

1 Like

Routing driver holes. Always nerve racking. Many cuts but no room for error.

3 Likes

Midrange hole routed too.

2 Likes

4 Likes

I surprised myself with how much I got done over the weekend.

Today after work I routed the tweeter holes.

2 Likes

Then a good sand all over.

6 Likes

What soldering iron do you use for the x-overs? Been looking at a few, think I’m coming down to a Hakko

To be completely honest I don’t know. It’s just from the DIY store. Nothing special. 60 watts. Has lasted me years.

1 Like

You can see why I haven’t started any builds yet can’t you X)

2 Likes

HA! If it takes you this long to settle on a soldering iron….

2 Likes

Troels mentions both the temp and tip that he uses. Since you haven’t needed one so far, you’ll be unlikely to use it loads after.

Just get a cheap one that has replaceable tips and allows you to control the temperature. It will do the job fine.

Mine is exactly like that and has served me (sporadically) for about two decades.

1 Like

@Mark84 Just spotted this Mark, great to see another build :slightly_smiling_face:

What are you going to do with your current speakers?

My highly technical veneer press back in use.

3 Likes

Test fitting drivers.

5 Likes