Speaker jumpers

But isn’t he suggesting the jumpers effect impedance, but capacitors, inductors, resisters used in the crossovers don’t.

yes they do but by design

1 Like

Looks like you have the reverse set up currently if top speaker terminals are HF. Interesting to hear back your findings if you do choose to swap’em around. Best.

Worth trying red to treble, black to bass.

1 Like

You ask about jumper leads rather than standard supplied links - I use chord signature jumpers which imo give a nice uplift in SQ but there is a cost in that tweak but relatively good value :wink:.

1 Like

I’d certainly describe it more as different rather than better, in my case it does sound tighter on the bottom end and more energised on the top end. Also as I’ve had it wired “bass first” forever my ears will need a while to adjust regardless.
It seems I have to up the volume a little as well but may just be me thinking it needs that based on the change in presentation.
I’ll give it a week and see if I prefer it or not!

1 Like

Hi
Your picture shows them the opposite way round from suggested.
Give it a go it’s free and doesn’t matter if you use the basic plates or fancy jumpers it’s the direction of flow that matters.
:+1:t2:

2 Likes

The point is, I think, that configuring speaker terminals to suggested speaker cables polarity better matches impedance between amp and driver.
Impedance will continue to be influenced by a bunch of other stuff.
The best bit being you can try for free yourself and assess.
Good excuse to enjoy a musical Friday morning😀.

1 Like

As I warned:

Thanks everyone for the suggestion. I reversed the diagonal wiring as suggested and it sounds great. Noticeably better? Tough one to call under my listening conditions, but like I say, it certainly does sound great!

Honestly, even though my system is fairly humble compared to many people on this forum, it is easily the best music reproduction I’ve ever owned and I love it.

(That’s not to say I won’t upgrade at some point, of course!)

4 Likes

For years, had my main cables into the bottom sockets of my PMC’s. After reading here, I swapped 'em to be diagonal - positive to top, negative to bottom. Cable is Chord Odyssey 2, with Chord Signature jumpers.

Well, you can knock me down with a wet herring.
It works ! :astonished:

4 Likes

One down side of using Super Lumina cable diagonal is not possible because of the distance between the upper and lower terminals of the 808’s and the blocks near the banana plugs.

2 Likes

:sweat_smile: 72 replies obsessing over jumpers.

You could put coat hanger wire between those terminals and you’re not going to hear a difference. It’s not going to make a difference whether you do it diagonally or not either. They’ll say anything to calm the audiophile nervosa.

5 Likes

Guilty as charged :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can’t find my usual M&S coathangers. I’ll get the train in to the store tomorrow and pick one up.

1 Like

Well, that wasn’t what I was expecting. Just tried an A/B on square v. diagonal. In sound terms, not a huge difference to my ears… diagonal is maybe slightly preferable.

However, what’s very weird is that diagonal wiring has snapped the centre of the stereo image from being a good 10-15 degrees or so to the left of centre (which has been increasingly irritating me for a while) to being dead centre. Can’t explain it, but it’s now exactly where I want it!

Before anyone suggests that changing the connections has cleaned gunk off the plugs, I’d already given the jumpers a good clean before starting the A/B, so it’s not that.

Mark

3 Likes

I was sure this had been done before ‘Diagonal’ Single-Wiring
This thread includes a diagram from Audioquest.
I know that Chord Company have also suggested it works, perhaps the fact that Alan Gibb worked at Linn is why they tried it.
I recall seeing it done with a pair of ARC speakers, possibly the 101?
I played about with it with a Trio amp and Eltax floor standers and the “snapping” into focus was as described.

1 Like

I use the supplied linking bars with the Tab 10 Sigs. This after a) Not being wholly satisfied with jumpers and b) Speaking with Proac about the development and testing of the ‘speakers.

I wire direct to the HF terminals.

G

2 Likes

Hi Graeme,
You did “diagonally” connect speaker cables a couple of years ago looking back at old threads.
You mention that you have spoken to ProAc.
Being a ProAc owner too I’d be interested to hear what they said and if it was this that changed your current approach, if that’s okay.
Many thanks,

The T10S are developed and tested with the links in place, is the long and short of it. Single and bi-amplification is also used.

G

1 Like