Speaker jumpers

I may have to empty the dishwasher and “do the swop” now :joy:

1 Like

I went diagonal after reading a few forums, and its certainly quite a bit better. As the Linn guy says, more clarity and tighter bass, not a subtle change on my speakers.

2 Likes

Swopped and rebooted on my DSM/PMC’s. Interesting, it does sound different indeed.
Gotta love a free tweak.

2 Likes

If one really does hear a difference then it suggests your jumpers aren’t up to scratch

1 Like

Tried it and sounds better to me so happy.
NACA5 and chord signature jumper leads here.
Any science to back up your assertion if you hear an improvement there is an issue with jumper leads?

2 Likes

Well I would have thought that if the jumpers were completely ‘transparent’ then electrically speaking it should make no difference which speaker terminals you use

I had those same Totem jumpers with my Tribe Towers. They are junk and worth changing.

Okay thanks for clarifying and also to Skeptikal for sharing :grinning::+1:.

1 Like

The issue is in your assumption, not the conclusion. Surely no wire connection can be perfectly transparent.

Mark

Actually, I was bothered about this! Well, intrigued, at least. Thank you for this, @Skeptikal - that explanation makes a lot of sense, so I now can be bothered getting on my hands & knees and trying this out for myself.

Mark

2 Likes

I’m Skeptikal about this. :grinning:

Won’t the crossover inductors, capacitors, resistors……… create different impedances between amp and drive units. :thinking:

Although, when I get my amps serviced I’ll definitely be trying it.

1 Like

Don’t be Skeptikal just try it as a free tweak. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
The guy that designed the speakers is qualified enough to listen to.
Give it a go nothing to lose. :+1:t2:

1 Like

I was Sceptical, and my dealer on several occasions had said to use the LF plugs, but I tried diagonal and it’s better - no doubt. To the extend that I’m slightly bemused I didn’t do it earlier.

2 Likes

IMO, less connections is better. Speakers with bi-wiring post is a fashion. I do not understand how doubling the connections in a passive crossover could help. You will not get more juice from a single amplifier. Bi-amping could help using bi-wiring for
a passive speaker but look at what is involved. Two amps, the doubling of speaker wires, without counting the increase load for the preamplifier.
For the money involved it would make more sense buying better single post loudspeakers and/or a better amplifier.

I’ll just pop to the shop and get those now.

2 Likes

I’m not sceptical about the effect, just about the reason given for the effect.

Matching impedance between amp and drivers and better isolating of emf seems a plausible explanation to me.

This is my new configuration until I sort out jumpers (pictures rotated for some reason):

1 Like

My dealer advised this diagonal set up when I bought mine. I’ve never messed with it. It seems people favour wired jumpers over the bars though? Maybe I’ll have a fiddle about…

2 Likes

In fairness you’d have to presume that Phil Budd, given his position in Linn, knows what he’s on about. I can see the logic re the impedance as both drivers will have an equal signal path, I dont know enough about back EMF but I’m sure technically it makes sense. I suppose the real question is whether the difference is discernible or if it’s just conscious bias. I’ve changed mine to diagonal and it does sound good but better I’m not sure, either way they’re staying that way. Thanks to Skeptical for the tip.

2 Likes