Speaker options for 282/250DR

I will ultimately need about 15m of cable as I’m moving my rack to be further away from my speakers and it needs to track around the room - so Chord Epic could cost best part of £1000…Let’s see what the dealer offers me - I’ve historically got cables at 50% off when spending that sort of money, in which case the Epic comes within reach

No way to shorten the run? 15 meters is a really long run… that’s almost 50 feet. Got to be a way to shorten it.,

It’s 2 X 7.5m - might be able to squeeze a bit off here and there but the furthest speaker will require that order of magnitude and I believe that both lengths should be identical

1 Like

Just keep in mind cables can only be subtractive. The best sounding cable is no cable.

That’s one of the things that confuses me about Naim. Why design amps that requires specific cables? I understand the mechanics of Naim’s choice of using certain cables and lengths but No One else does this. Is it a holdover from early years ? I don’t know.

I thought no cable, no sound…

2 Likes

Because

Naim power amplifiers do not have extra inductance networks in the output. Naim prefer the more elegant solution of allowing the speaker cable to provide the correct inductance and capacitance.

From the FAQ, https://community.naimaudio.com/t/speaker-cable-for-naim-power-amplifiers/87?u=suedkiez

1 Like

Why not go active with ATC, much better than passive.
I went from 252/300DR and have never looked back. I drive my ATC 40,s from an Auralic Vega G2- I really like it a lot.!

3 Likes

I have been daydreaming about a DCS Bartok with these active ATC40, imagine what neat system that would be at under 20 grand if you have that money to spend. No cable spaghetti, no expensive racks, no headaches as to where to make the next upgrade :slight_smile:

For some it may take all the fun out of building a system with Naim though.

3 Likes

WiFi?

You mean those swanky speakers with everything inside? Fair enough. But I am too old for that – I need to have at least some hifi clutter in the lounge… :rofl:

Indeed, cables are unfortunately a necessary evil.

1 Like

Oops I misunderstood you. Mia Culpa I thought you meant a 15m pair! After reading it again 7.5 meter pair is much more reasonable :+1:

1 Like

Thats fine, twin 15m runs would go the length of my house. Just picked up the Epic demo cables from my dealer for a couple of days…

Let us know how it sounds. But as we’ve been discussing elsewhere give it 24 hours or over night to settle in.

Just over a week of listening, experimenting with positioning, speaker cables etc, on Friday night, my father in law and I both sat there and said the sound was missing something. It was hard to discern exactly what, but no amount of tweaking with the positioning would fill that void. We concluded it was something very imperceptible, you didn’t feel you could reach out and “touch” the music. It sounded great after my Dali mentor menuets, but lacked the atmosphere

So, yesterday, I made a lightning trip to Wrexham and picked up some Dali Epicon 2s and Rubicon 6s. The Epicons are currently in situ and sound amazing, but it’s the extended listening that will tell.

Another dealer tapped up to source some ATC SCM40s and kudos super 20As for me for next weekend. I always feel guilty if I don’t buy from a dealer that has gone to the trouble of a home demo, but unfortunately not all dealers stock all speakers, and sound is a very personal choice…I want to get this right. I’ll buy speaker cable from the original dealer so they will get something out of it.

2 Likes

Did you ever get a chance to listen to the ProAc’s?

No - I have 3 decent dealers within an hours drive and none of them stock ProAc :weary:

That’s to bad.

1 Like

Interested to see (hear) what you think about the ATC SCM40’s…they continue to surprise me how good they are at their price point.

I was at the local Dealer yesterday and listened (via 282/SCap/250DR/NDX2/555PS) to Kudos Titan 606 - overall a very nice sound, very detailed mid & upper, good bass, balanced sound…not quite my cuppa tea after some listening, but close. Then Titan 707 - more of everything, but to me not in a balanced way…not enjoyable to me…prefer my SCM40’s to both of them.

Finished off with ATC SCM50 (which I home demoed a while back), wonderful sound and scale, maybe not quite as detailed as Titans, however very listenable/enjoyable and prob no surprise as I have the SCM40’s.
Following some recent upgrades/layout changes will home demo them again…

Good luck with your search.

1 Like

Interesting, I listened to Titan 808s while I was having my LP12 upgraded on Friday. The karousel and Radikal upgrades from Friday continue to put a smile on my face.

The 808s were tri-amped with 3 X 250DRs in an active configuration, fed from a 552 via a snaxo. The sound was simply stunning. But I took the opportunity to listen to some Super 20As. I have a dealer that stocks both kudos and ATCs so that is on my list for next weekend

2 Likes