Spotify and Uniti Star kills Spendor A7's

This is likely for another thread to be started, but the context of this one is probably useful.

There’s a scary bug with Apple’s Music.app on MacOS where if you switch Airplay to the Naim Uniti it will play at full volume even though you can see the slider is set way down. It frightens the s**t out of you, and changing the slider sets it back to expected levels. This doesn’t happen with any other Airplay devices I have, and it’s only the MacOS version of Music.app, and it’s not always, but often enough to worry about.

Quick heads up for @tomvamos.

1 Like

On Android at least there is the option (use hardware buttons) in Settings > Other:

I think this situation shows the downside of not having insurance cover. Of course there may be countries where there is nothing available and the OP may be in that situation.

Oh I know exactly what you’re talking about. But I experienced this on my IPhone XS. To the point where I’d keep my hand on the Uniti’s volume button just in case it goes to top volume by itself.

I live in the Middle East. Having insurance is possible. Explaining that:

1. An app on my phone damaged my speakers; in my home from 20km away - give me £4000 please
  2. You can’t actually see the damage- it’s inside
  3. Prove to us it’s the app that damaged your speakers

This will never work here. Don’t mean to be disrespectful to anyone but I’ve been here 17 years. It would be better just to quietly accept my fate and buy another pair/replace drivers if I have the means. If I don’t, start saving again.

It your insurance includes accidental damage I can’t see why claiming would be a problem. If not then yes, you might be hard pushed to convince them.

What he’s saying is you might think that living in UK but he has been in the Middle East for 17 years and it wouldn’t work there. I guess he knows.

Yes systems not in place like in the UK. It’s quite complicated actually. I mean if my hi-fi rack collapsed or I accidentally knocked over a speaker and it’s damaged, that’s something that can be understood.
But this is something difficult to explain across cultural and language barriers.
And would we ever get Spotify to say: ‘Oh my that’s our fault let’s put this right for you’.

Ultimately, if NAIM is reading any of this it would be in their best interest to thoroughly test products it includes in its suite. It’s the association that’s troubling me here. Like my Spendor’s who’s HF is made my SEAS. It’s in Spendor’s best interest that the products it’s partners/suppliers supply meets the same standards that it has. Spendor won’t tell me if my HF unit goes dead - please reach out to SEAS they made it. I’m sure no customer works accept that.
So I’m not accepting that NAIM would not put Tidal, Spotify and Qbuz throughly trough it’s paces before it launches a product that features them.
Maybe my logic is false. That’s just how I feel.
Apple takes responsibility for the apps it sells in the Apple Store. Surely there may be some agreement between NAIM and Spotify.

Either way I’m the loser. But it’s okay. I can manage.

Thank you. You can pick it apart no problem. We’re just discussing. That issue was fixed last year Feb. I still have the correspondence with Naim. Including the HDMI issue.
Glad it works for you. So many variables

Yes correct. Mine is set at 85. Clearly too much :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yes I can.
More importantly, I also have to pay for that. Just one HF is about £230. I need 2 and 2 MR/LF as well.

I don’t think we should inconvenience ourselves just to accommodate Spotifies bugs

And it will. We’re having our small revolution here. Maybe they’ll take notice. And find a clever solution. Especially with Spotify HIFI around the corner

Reminds me of when I had a similar ‘fault’. This was with an SN2 and the NAIM app. I’m not a fan of ‘app’ control but I thought I’d give it a try. All was fine for days and then, one session, I tapped volume up and it went out of control and kept on going higher and higher. All the time I was manually trying to turn the volume knob down but the app was driving it up all the time. In then end I quickly reached round the back and turned the amp off. My wife and I just stood there, ears ringing, for about a minute, stunned. I then turned the app off and then the amp back on and never used the app ever again. Thankfully no damage done other than ringing in the ears.

1 Like

Gosh thanks for sharing. It’s such a pity the technology at our disposal can sometimes let us down.
I work in health IT so things are tested and tested and tested before making production.

A few unfortunate circumstances here are:

• There is a setting available in the Naim app to prevent this kind of damage, which i assume was either disabled in this case, or it didn’t work as intended in the pre-out scenario.

• There is also a setting in the Spotify app to disable the volume control when the app is not open:

Go into the Spotify app on your iPhone and then go into settings.

Then go to devices and turn off the “Devices Lock Screen” option.

But neither of those options where used. Whether that is the fault of Naim, Spotify, Apple or the user is difficult to say, perhaps all of them really.

2 Likes

I believe this was indeed a bug in the app and has since been fixed (or maybe not yet, take care). Agree that it should not be possible

1 Like

Can anyone please explain why my reaction to @Suedkiez was removed? I received an automated system message to tell me that it was removed after being flagged.

Probably mentioning beta stuff?