Streamer firmware 3.8.0

Fine here on my ND 555 - i’m working from home and enjoying the main system today :slight_smile:

Might be worth a power cycle of your ND 555 - unplug for 15-30 minutes. During that time, ensure your Naim App is up to date, your phone/tablet is fully powered down and back up. I’d restart your router at same time, too. Covers all bases!

An example of the slight ‘edge’ noticeable with 3.7.1 (ND555) was this hires Qobuz album:

I found it unlistenable with 3.7.1 but with 3.8.1 that edge is dialled back enough to make it much more balanced. It’s not the best recording by any means but this update is welcome.

G

5 Likes

Hi, just received my new Uniti Star. Great experience coming from 20 yrs with Marantz systems.
BUT I have these audigaps in ripped music. Searching a lot for solutions without success.
Tried multiple SD cards, formatting in Mac Format and Windows, using usb Stick, Wave vs. flac, etc.
Then this update hoping that this would fix it. Unfortunately, not. Still 1-5 small audio gaps in every album ripped.
So this new ripping function compares my flac and can not detect these gaps?
So thought Naim is #1 on high quality CD ripping?
Can anyone help?
Thx

I’m running new speakers now but it appears to my ears that 3.8 is a little darker than 3.7.1

2 Likes

Have had my Star since 2019. For as long as I have had it it has had this issue. Small gaps of silence in the CD rips.

It’s not you, it’s not your CD’s, it’s not your harddrive, it’s the Star.

I know it’s annoying but what I do now is rip a CD, listen to it, and if there are gaps I rerip it. Songs with gaps are usually ripped well the second time. So I combine the ripped album files to get a gapless album :man_shrugging:

NDX2 updated successfully. On the Naim App, I had to re-login into Tidal on all devices. On one device, it said the Tidal Login name was invalid - restarted Naim App, all OK

No change in sound that I can hear

My ND5XS2 is still happy being on version 3.7.0

Your ND5XS2 likes to stay young

2 Likes

Holding back Jim remember the last time :upside_down_face:

Applied 3.8 last night to one of my ND5XS2 took about 6min all okay

1 Like

Thankfully no unplugging required just hit the update button and sat there thinking of your bricked ND5XS2 in the end no change of underwear :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

The key feature of the Star versus Atom is having a CD player creating perfect copies according to Naim Marketing claim. So the rip report and the new function of comparing against the FLAC file is useless as defects are not detected. Wonder then, what it is detecting and respect to the Marketing strategy.
At this price, I would assume it is rather a piece of equipment for hiFi enthusiasts. But barely people who complain about it…?!

So are you replacing individual songs then separately on a computer?
I re-ripped the whole CD but then I had a gap in another song.
You can not rip individual songs again, correct? Just the full CD album.

FWIW the Star is quite an upgrade over the standard Atom. Better amplifier, better sound and I believe better headphone amplifier.

Yeah I use a computer. And in my case I use Roon so I do the song replacement on Roon after copying from the Star.

If you don’t have Roon you could make a copy of the files and keep ripping till you have a perfect CD. Then delete the ripped album via the Naim app. And then you can copy it to the downloads folder on the Star’s drive. This is where you can place any other downloaded files as well. This way you can play them as normal from the Naim app.

As for the gaps, send a mail to Naim support. I know there was effort to fix but the more people who can supply info about this issue the better the chance it can be fixed for all.

Surely better in some aspects vs Atom but the drive and rip function still the key feature for my decision to buy this.
I know many HiFi lovers who stick to CDs and the ease to use and sound quality of
the Star is surely something they would buy in. But this compromise would keep most of them away.
I want to keep it simple and not many workarounds with computers and software. :cry:
Well, I will definitely contact my dealer on this.
Thx a lot for your info.

I have now performed a factory reset on my Uniti Star and now the Internet radio graphics change correctly when I change stations and there is no delay.

2 Likes

@Naim.Marketing,

Hi Clare, I was having a proper mump a couple of weeks back about how the Naim app insisted in storing my favourite Tidal albums in the order in which they were downloaded, rather than by “Artist”, my preferred order.

Guess what?

If, rather than open “Favourites”, I look in Tidal, still within the app, then in “Albums” there they are, in “Artist” order.

Doh! :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming: … … :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’m always a bit suspicious of changes not covered by the release notes, however:

Spotify connect: delay in response when using a WiFi connected client (pause/play/next/previous) is resolved.

Which is nice. Still not quite as snappy as Spotify connect running on a tizen device (Samsung tv), but completely acceptable.

It also hasn’t crashed yet. Which is also nice.

Thanks software dev team!

3 Likes

Yes, that way it can be reported.

Having been there myself I did not want you to go have to go through all sorts of hardware tests and time wasting.

Personally I am very happy with my Star. I don’t rip that many CD’s and I transfer the rips to Roon anyways.

I’m going to say something that is total guesswork and may not mean anything. When it happened to me it felt like I got less issues if I ripped with the Star only doing ripping an not streaming anything. My superstition also told me that I got less issues when not going into the track progress screen but leaving it on the initial CD progress screen. Once again this is pure guesswork from a feeling. Perhaps something you could try.

Just applied the update. Have the first impression that the sound is a bit less edgy, which would be good. However let’s see how thing develop in the coming hours and days.

2 Likes

After a few days since installing the latest update i am only now starting to recognise and appreciate a sweeter quality to the overall sound quality, especially in the higher registers. Less noise perhaps? So on that note i would like to thank ALL who was involved behind the scenes who’ve done a marvellous job in making our products even more enjoyable. Great stuff. Thank you. :+1:

11 Likes

Yes - this version is musically better here too.
Richer more textured presentation with better separation and detail portrayed more naturally. A more immersive sound with better neutrality to let you just hear what is there without anything getting accentuated is how I hear it.

DB.

9 Likes