Streaming Server for NDS

Nope :blush:

So sad. I stream only locally, from my Melco. So not sure if I will ever know if Ndx2 into Nds can give a nice uplift. :face_holding_back_tears:

Naim should partner here helping out with legacy streamers. It works great and sounds great IMO. I had no idea it was this simple until few weeks ago.

Even though I hear a difference with NDX2 on NDS as a streamer I’m not so sure it is better in terms of synergy. NDS with 555PSDR is a mighty good combination on its own with my non DR 500/552 and they all are same generation. Also worth noting is I had a bigger change in sound using a Sarum T DIN DIN than adding the NDX2 so I will leave the streamer idea for now and evaluate cables with this new setup again instead. So many boxes… :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

My radio paradise mellow mix worked prior to messing around with NDX2. Now my NDS plays one second and stops. Albums works great but not radio. Did you have a similar problem and if so how did you solve it? Don’t mess with things that work…

Do you mean RP via Audirvana? It works for me occasionally, but mostly it does the one second thing. I suspect it’s an Audirvana issue.

For lossless RP on the NDS I use this workaround: Native FLAC via iRadio?

Yes RP via Audirvana. It worked flawless on my NDS prior to playing around with NDX2 into it so I guess a 1 or 0 is stuck somewhere.

Kurt’s lossless iRadio cloud solution is really good but I still prefer lossless radio streaming through minimserver/upnp/m3u file for better SQ.

What do you mean with better SQ?
A decompressed FLAC is identical to a WAV - at least the bits representing sound, so not metadata and other headers.

I can’t explain why they’re different but they are. It’s not a huge difference though and the iRadio solution is still great. I listen to it during the day on my Muso. But for some reason on the 272 I prefer the upnp solution albeit not by a large margin.

It’s only every worked for me once after I messed around with settings. Then it went back to the one second thing even with messed around settings.

So I use Naim app for RP now.

1 Like

Hi @Blackbird, I’m also very positive about using Audirvana to send Qobuz music and internet-radio streams to my NDX2. It nicely improves SQ. I wonder whether you also experience a timing-period issue as I’ve stated in an Audirvana community message.

" Just evaluating the Audirvana Studio trial (owing a Audirvana 3.5 license for 4 years now).
A very nice upgrade, Top! Congrats! Well done!

There’s however one issue I’m currently unable to overcome: whenever I start the (indefinite length) internet-audio-stream from the German internet-radio-station Antenne Bayern Chillout it initiates the radio-stream correctly. Afterwards the stream is successfully played via my Naim NDX2 streamer as a uPnP WAV-file. But, unfortunately on the NDX2 it is shown as a file with a fixed time duration of 2h:15m:15s. After this period playback stops. It can be restarted manually via the Audirvana remote-app, which initiates another sequence of only 2h:15m:15s. I’m running Audirvana Studio on a MacMini 2014 with 16GB Ram in exclusive mode. Changing the buffer to f.i. 4 GB doesn’t make any difference. I’ve included a screenprint of the NDX2 screen.
How to increase the continuous playback timing ? Kind regards, "

Hi @Stevesky , mostly you’re perfectly knowledgeable on these kind of Internet-radio-related-issues … could it be technically the issue that the NDX2 doesn’t ask for new data, and simply empties its buffer, after it initially receives a radio-data-stream with an indefinite tracklength/time ?

Whatever radio-station I choose, the result is always a limited playback-period of 2:15:15.
First screenprint from Audirvana remote , second screenprint from Naim app NDX2

Hi @Blackbird, any experience with Audirvana’s internet-radio connection-time ? Rgds.

I’m having problems with radio. Cannot stream at all. If I tweak settings so radio works then Qobuz albums get problems instead.

1 Like

The ND5XS2 is fully controlled by the NDS through system automation, which is quite brilliant by Naim.

1 Like

Yes we have our NDX2 setup this way too. It works really well.

My “no remote” comment was tongue in cheek as the remote control is the main reason we have an NDX2 instead of an ND5XS2 (SWMBO mandated). The screen is also nice.

The ND5XS2 and NDX2 share the same streaming board and both make fabulous digital transports.

3 Likes

That’s very good to hear from someone with direct experience. My plan has always been to pick up a pre-owned ND5XS2 and run it through my NDS, but we’re in the middle of the an expensive situation right now and it’ll have to wait a bit. Looking very much forward to it now though …

However, Qobuz is only just available in Canada now, so I’ve only been missing out on the overall improved SQ from the new streaming boards.

2 Likes

We tried bare NDX2 into 272 as transport. The sound quality was better - an airier sound, more spacious soundstage and more detail

The streaming side of the old gen1 devices is bettered for anything internet facing by the new boards.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy the ND5xs2 into your NDS.

2 Likes