Streaming Server for NDS

You haven’t followed my journey :kissing_heart:

Suspense is killing me :grimacing:

1 Like

I’m afraid NDS sounds even better with NDX2 used as a streamer. I hear more inner details, bigger soundstage, more realism, bit tighter bottom end etc. It’s a bit picking the good parts of both boxes and mix them into one…

@Simon-in-Suffolk I believe you use NDX2 into your NDS? What’s you impressions on differences with/without NDX2 as a streamer into NDS?

Won’t keep the NDX2 as a streamer though and will do some more evaluation. I would move to ND5XS2 if so since they use the same streaming board. Or evaluate Lumin or something else. NDS by NO means sound broken or bad without NDX2 :slight_smile: Just want to make that clear. Audirvana into it streaming Qobuz sounds wonderful.

Hi… I use my ndx2 as a digital streamer that drives a Chord Electronics DAVE DAC.

2 Likes

That makes sense.

How does NDX2/555DR measure up against NDS/555DR?

Either NDS or NDX2 are worse than the other with 555 on them. I’d say NDX2 is a step up on inner details, definition and probably more close to the latest gen dac/streamers in sound signature whereas NDS is bit more romance, warmth and bigger bottom end which I guess is more “non-DR generation” of sound. In my system that is :slight_smile: There are things I can miss with NDX2 when NDS is in and when I listen to NDX2 there are things with NDS I miss. Combining them both creates a nice blend indeed. I remember when adding a Lumin U1 mini to my 272 upping the streamer. It is very much what I hear now too.

Trouble now is what has been heard cannot be unheard…

2 Likes

I’m confused, you’re using a streamer into another streamer? Or are you using the NDX2 as a digital transport only into another streamer (NDS) which acts as a DAC only, and why would you do that?

I wonder if what you have right now is close to an ND555

Mechanically, electronically, and sonically

Digital out on NDX2 meaning out of streamer in NDX2 further on to DAC on NDS via BNC digital in. So NDX2 only used as a streamer and NDS only as a DAC.

I wonder the same. Based on what I read about those moving from NDS to ND555 it matches my experience pretty well.

My curiosity often gets me in trouble :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

I wonder what a dedicated PS on the NDX2 would do right now :thinking:

Nooooooooo!

But I’ve always had difficulties accepting the Ethernet in so close to 230V input… must be issues created there.

Are you streaming Qobuz natively or via UPnP?

On NDX2 Qobuz native in naims app and on NDS Qobuz via Audirvāna.

Might be worth comparing native and UPnP with the NDX2/NDS set up

1 Like

Also try adding a record player.

We’re considering this as NDS is supposed to be slightly better than nDAC as a DAC.

However, forum posts on this are split and we’re very happy with current system sound so not a definite we will even try.

The nDAC and Powerline when sold would almost pay for the NDS so could be a low cost punt.

Not until he has a second 555 on his NDS :grinning: