Streaming Server for NDS

Now you’re talking :sunglasses:

Yes, quite right. And he needs to DR his 552 and 500 :flushed:

Ok so a non DR 555 on the analogue side on NDS and another 555 on the NDX2 as a streamer. 3x555, NDS, NDX2 then. And DR my 500 and 552. Seems like I need to change work and get a bigger house too.

1 Like

In all seriousness, what’s your end game with NDS/NDX2 etc Or is the jury out?

Don’t rule out the 2nd PSU on the NDS.
I had my my NDS for 6-7 years with a single 555DR and thought it was great, particularly with a Roon frontend, so issues with internet streaming services, better format support including Tidal Masters/MQA, lossless internet radio etc. I focused on getting my network optimized for streaming content & some room treatments.

Now the 555DR is powering the digital circuitry and a second power supply is for the analogue (Socket 2 only), and wow more of everything again.

4 Likes

Alright, so now listening to this setup :

Audirvana/Qobuz - EE8+Farad 3 - Entreq Olympus Ethernet + Olympus Ten Tungsten - NDX2 (Streamer only)- BJC BNC/BNC - NDS+555PSDR (DAC only).

Sounds amazing :pray: The reflection is Marvin by the way :wink:

3 Likes

Can you try comparing Nds vs Ndx2 to Nds for local streaming from a Nas?
For Qobuz and Tidal it’s logical that Ndx2 to Nds will sound better vs Nds. But for local, someone tried Nd5xs2 into Nds vs Nds and found no difference . So I am curious if you will find differences or not.

1 Like

Sorry cannot. Don’t even know what NAS is :see_no_evil: For local I don’t see the benefit since you are not using the streamer in nd5xs2 or NDX2? I’m using streamer board only in NDX2.

You don’t have cd rips on a Nas or Server , or bought downloads?
If you stream from a Nas or Server, you use the streaming board of course, be it from Nds or Ndx2 if the later is connected to the Nds dac.

Nope :blush:

So sad. I stream only locally, from my Melco. So not sure if I will ever know if Ndx2 into Nds can give a nice uplift. :face_holding_back_tears:

Naim should partner here helping out with legacy streamers. It works great and sounds great IMO. I had no idea it was this simple until few weeks ago.

Even though I hear a difference with NDX2 on NDS as a streamer I’m not so sure it is better in terms of synergy. NDS with 555PSDR is a mighty good combination on its own with my non DR 500/552 and they all are same generation. Also worth noting is I had a bigger change in sound using a Sarum T DIN DIN than adding the NDX2 so I will leave the streamer idea for now and evaluate cables with this new setup again instead. So many boxes… :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

My radio paradise mellow mix worked prior to messing around with NDX2. Now my NDS plays one second and stops. Albums works great but not radio. Did you have a similar problem and if so how did you solve it? Don’t mess with things that work…

Do you mean RP via Audirvana? It works for me occasionally, but mostly it does the one second thing. I suspect it’s an Audirvana issue.

For lossless RP on the NDS I use this workaround: Native FLAC via iRadio?

Yes RP via Audirvana. It worked flawless on my NDS prior to playing around with NDX2 into it so I guess a 1 or 0 is stuck somewhere.

Kurt’s lossless iRadio cloud solution is really good but I still prefer lossless radio streaming through minimserver/upnp/m3u file for better SQ.

What do you mean with better SQ?
A decompressed FLAC is identical to a WAV - at least the bits representing sound, so not metadata and other headers.

I can’t explain why they’re different but they are. It’s not a huge difference though and the iRadio solution is still great. I listen to it during the day on my Muso. But for some reason on the 272 I prefer the upnp solution albeit not by a large margin.

It’s only every worked for me once after I messed around with settings. Then it went back to the one second thing even with messed around settings.

So I use Naim app for RP now.

1 Like