Superline Service Quandary/Disappointment.😮‍💨

Useful to know
Thanks for sharing

I think this bit of news is fairly new. My dealer was made aware when they went to book my Superline in. Bit disappointing though.

1 Like

Hi Robert

Forgive the obvious question, but why?

I’ve just checked and the SuperLine is still available, as part for the current Naim product collection. ( Where as CD555 and NDS are now a long time, out of production). So seems odd. Did the dealer provide any more reasoning or context.

It’s just this seems a little odd.
So, it would be more normal to go through (1) EOL notification (2) actual EOL passing (3) several years to go by, maybe 5-10 year. (4) no further service notification, etc.

Thanks in advance
R

1 Like

I challenged the same. Naim say that the circuit board could get damaged during the service. But, if it is a current product…
Makes no sence to me neither. It was only last week dealer gave me a price (£399) to service and now this week, it is effectively obsolete.

1 Like

Hmmmm
Okay, understand.

With the advent of NC and specifically, the NVC-TT, most would assume the SL is near to EOL. That’s fine. (In fact, from what I’ve seen and heard, the SuperLine has enjoyed something of a renaissance since NC was launched). Although, to go straight to obsolete - no further service available - seems really odd and against the Naim ethos, normal excellent product support cycle. I’m bemused about this news.

So, I share your disappointment
Our own was bought new - just 12 month ago - so feel something isn’t right about this.

Will make my own “disappointed” enquires as a result.
Speak again soon.
R

5 Likes

More than a bit disappointing. Is this the first time that any other reason than parts availability (CD mechs, tuning heads, streaming boards, DAC chips) that a box won’t be serviced?

Unless it’s the availability of the circuit board that’s the issue?

Edit: Actually, even with parts availability affecting the ability to service some boxes, they’d still service what they could of the bits remaining. And by the sounds of it it isn’t the first time if the list contains CD555 and NDS

2 Likes

I guess I’ll just have to keep dreaming that Naim release a Superline+

3 Likes

Can @NeilS or @Richard.Dane confirm that a Superline service is no longer available from the factory please ?

1 Like

Robert

FWIW…
From what I’ve learned separately - during this morning - you’ve been really unlucky on timings.
Last week, you could have got that service.
A change recently shared with dealers - in the last few days - came into effect from just today.

@Thegreatroberto
Just an idea, but as you already had a quote, with intention of buying a service within days, maybe ask Naim to make an exception, on the basis this change is a sudden surprise, with no prior notice, or time to act in good faith, etc, etc,

R

1 Like

Thanks. What great timing !

I did see the latest service band info sent out to dealers last thursday and noticed that against the Superline it had “service not available” put in brackets. I can only guess it’s down to a parts supply issue? Perhaps @NeilS knows more here.

1 Like

Ah, OK, just read all the way through the covering email (note to self, always read right to the end) and I see what the issue is;

Please note that due to their design, we cannot offer a service on the products listed below. The risk implications of damaging the internal boards are too high and given the value they hold, it is not worth damaging them beyond repair. We are still able to repair these products and will continue to support the owners.

This applies to CD555, NDS, and Superline. I’m guessing there may have been some unfortunate incidents that occurred?

1 Like

That’s a bit of a shocker. My CD555 was serviced just earlier this year.

1 Like

Tell me about it. I’m really disappointed to know that I bought an obsolete and delicate item. Currently, it sounds good, but… Dealers didn’t get much notice. The CD555 and NDS I can sort of understand. Obsolescence through technology changes is somewhat expected, but not through fragile items. I can only assume this is because of the circuit board.

2 Likes

I too have a Superline, and now worry about it in a way that I didn’t yesterday!

More importantly perhaps, what about the 552 arriving on Thursday? Will that get a similar announcement about service or repair? Perhaps those paying up for 332/333/2x300PX instead of a 552 will be proved right?

2 Likes

Looking at your photo there are a lot of caps so not a 5 minute job, close together as well.
I have assembled and solder a reasonable amount of boards over the years but have mainly been on new boards, not sure why the boards would be delicate, looking at the image doesn’t seem to be any signs of anything nasty going on but if Naim don’t want to risk possible damage then that’s up to them they know best.
Not sure where that leaves you long term but as Richard mentioned, Naim are still doing repairs which is helpful.

1 Like

If it sounds good to you why not just enjoy, if the sound degrades or you encounter any issues, get it serviced later. I have a CDP555 which has about a year left before the recommended service date, I am inclined to leave things for while. One thing which never seems to be discussed is usage against age, if the component has not be left switched on or used regularly would the components still age in the same way?

If you go back earlier in the thread Richard D mentioned Naim will no longer offer a service on a super line but will still carry out repairs👍

2 Likes

The choice or quandary that i had yesterday has been removed today. I wanted to return the item to design via service, and pay for it. Caps degrade whether used or not, but do degrade quicker if used/warm. Buying pre owned, i have no idea of what use the Superline has had.

Ok, sorry didn’t see this, best to stick then unless you encounter problems, you have mentioned CD555 in your post is this the player or power supply you are referring to?