Superline Standard cartridge output

Thanks.

How much of an improvement is a Hicap over aux 2 power from the preamp?

Iā€™ve only powered my Superline two ways: 1) from the powered Aux on my 252, and 2) from a Supercap DR, as I have it now. Iā€™ve never used a HiCap with the Superline so I really have no idea how that would compare to powered Aux on 282 driven by a Supercap.

Personally, if I had a 282, Hicap, Supercap and Superline I would be inclined to use the Supercap to power the Superline and the Hicap to power the 282.

1 Like

A Hicap gives a much more dynamic sound.

1 Like

I preferred the 552 AUX2 feed over a dedicated HICAP. The latter gave a marginally improved sense of dynamics but at the expense of overall coherence (the sense of timing and everybody playing together). IIRC, Naimā€™s Roy George also preferred AUX2 on the NAC52/252/552 over the HICAP.

4 Likes

Is it one less interconnect using the Aux approach?

Superline - SNAIC - HiCap - IC - pre
vs
Superline - SNAIC - pre

Doesnā€™t the aux approach with the 252 involve a dedicated feed from the associated SuperCap?

And last question of the morning :slight_smile: is there any difference in quality between a 24V line from a HiCap Vs the same provided by a SuperCap? Iā€™ve read lots of comments about the quality of a SuperCap, but to my untrained eyes it looks like a similar architecture to the HiCap, just more lines? Though itā€™s hard to see the detail of the DR boards on a SuperCap DR to compare to the HiCap. I wonder what might mean a SuperCap powered Superline sounds different/better than a HiCap powered one.

The supercap only really comes into its own with Burndy connection to the superline I tried mine via a Snaic while I awaited the Burndy and still preferred 552 AUX power.

1 Like

A big advantage with a separate power supply is that it doesnā€™t drag down the performance of the other inputs as Aux 2 does.

1 Like

Does it really?

I changed from Superline on 252 Aux input to adding a dedicated SupercapDR for the Superline. While the improvement to the Superline was pretty massive, I didnā€™t notice any change (improvement) to my NDX2/XPSDR after removing the Superline from the Aux input. In fact, I had the NDX2/XPSDR before I ever got the Superline, and when I put the new Superline on the 252 Aux input I never noticed any performance drag on the NDX2 that I already had for a while.

If it makes a change one way or the other it isnā€™t enough of one that I ever noticed.

2 Likes

Try again,itā€™s very easy to hear.

You canā€™t say that it applies generally, see above what is written about 252.

I guess thereā€™s really no reason for me to. If I didnā€™t notice it before it doesnā€™t matter; i.e. it didnā€™t happen as far as Iā€™m concerned. Itā€™s irrelevant to me now anyway, so nothing for me to prove or disprove.

I also donā€™t hear a differences with other stuff people here claim, like turning off the preamp button lamps and the record bank mute lockout.

3 Likes

Agreed, as is my experience ā€“ stated above, and disputed ā€“ that using Superline on 252 Aux did not drag down my NDX2 in any way I noticed, nor did adding a Supercap DR later improve my NDX2.

2 Likes

I have tried it with Nac 282,252,552 and 52.

Good for you :+1:

I only tried with 252 and there was no difference.

And yet others have come to divergent conclusions. Soā€¦:man_shrugging:

As always ,try yourself and you will know.

I saw you on a discussion today, after having read a review on the Townsend podiums.
The link with that thread? No one.
However curious if you are going or not for them.
But you can respond on another thread.

Running a superline from a supercap and a stageline N from the 552ā€™s AUX and listening to the superline with the stageline connected the effect is most noticeable on orchestral music when it hits the peaks, theyā€™re a bit cleaner with the stageline disconnected from AUX power. Iā€™ve not explored the effect of AUX powering a superline on other inputs.

Was that on Tracking Angle? I was just curious abut them. I have a HRS R3x isolation base for my turntable and isoAcoustics Gaia for my speakers, and am happy with those for both cases. I have no plans to look further into the Townsend platforms.

1 Like