Superline Standard cartridge output

A slight aside to the SL\SC discussion but I noticed the difference between using a HCDR and my SC2 on SuperLine - much preferred the latter (or indeed AUX2): HCDR made it all a bit too hifi to my ears.

What I should do is swap in the SCDR for SL kicks, but…lazy…

Yes, tracking angle :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the delayed response, been away with work.

Anyway, I have taken the plunge and bought preloved Superline and Hicap. Will hopefully set up tomorrow. I’ll try on aux2 before adding the Hicap. Will report back.

6 Likes

Apologies for the naive question, I’m used to dip switches rather than plugs. The loading plugs that come with the Superline, I’m right in thinking those labelled with an ‘R’ e.g. 500R are resistance and those labelled ‘nF‘ are capacitance?

Also, default without any plugs is 0kΩ resistance and100pF (0.1nF) capacitance, inserting plugs in to the Superline adds to these numbers rather than replaces?

Where would you experienced guys start with an Audio Technica ART9XA cartridge? Specs below.

Stylus Construction Nude
Recommended Load Impedance Min. 100 ohms (when head amplifier connected)
Coil Impedance 12 ohms (1 kHz)
DC Resistance 12 ohms
Coil Inductance 2.5 µH (1 kHz)
Output Voltage 0.2 mV (1 kHz, 5 cm/sec.)

Default is 10kΩ, the plugs go in parallel to the native values so capacitance is additive but resistance is the inverse of the sum of the inverses of all values. The labels on the plugs are meant to take the native value into account. You can use two resistance plugs to try some other values, eg a 500R and a 1kR make 333R.

1 Like

How would you use two of the resistance plugs together? There is only one socket for loading (and one for capacitance).

You can use the DIN socket for Capacitance.

Are you claiming you can use the Capacitance socket to add a second loading plug for other resistive values? Where is that documented? It’s not what the manual says.

1 Like

Doesn’t make sense - one of the ports is for resistive loading only and the other for capacitive loading only. You can’t combine the two - at least not according to the manual.

From the old forum

https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic.php?p=1&oid=1566878606593783&coid=159503632588890

Page 2 of 30!

Posted on: 09 May 2008 by 110dB
Just for fun…….

If you plug in two resistive load plugs simultaneously to two values combine to give a new value.

Load plug combinations:
1k and 500R = 333R
1k and 220R = 180R
1k and 100R = 91R
500R and 220R = 153R
500R and 100R = 83R
220R and 100R = 68R

Note:

1. 1k and 500R is the same as 500R and 1k etc
  2. Obviously there will be no space left for capacitor load plugs.
  3. Here’s the maths, 500R and 220R = 1/(1/500)+(1/220) = 153R
1 Like

Interesting ! Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

I see. Given it came from @110dB I trust it’s correct.

It isn’t in the manual, and this is the first I’ve heard of it.

Interesting. I have two Z-Plugs: 453R (for my Dynavector) and 470R (for my Lyra). I can combine them to make 230R, which might work better for my Lyra Mono.

I’m still non the wiser. :crazy_face:

1 Like

1/(1/453Ω + 1/470Ω) = 230Ω

I have a 453R Airplug (for my Dynavector XV-1s) and a 470 Airplug (for my Lyra Atlas). My DV XV-1s was rebuilt in Japan earlier this year on a new unit. It is not the same as the one I sent off. It’s better. The US distributor suggested I try 100R or 200R for it, so I did that with a standard (included) Naim Superline 220R loading plug and decided I think he’s right. So now it’s good to know when I remount that XV-1s on my turntable I can use both my Aiirplugs together to get that value (230R actually).

1 Like

Fascinating read
Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Just to update this thread, I’ve now had the Superline a week and I’m bowled over by it. It’s a wonderful phono stage, either powered off my Supernait 2 or the Hicap. I think I’m just preferring it powered off the Hicap.

Compared to my ND5XS2 playing the same Qobuz HiDef song with my Rega P8 with RB2000 arm and AT ART9XA there’s no contest, the Rega/Superline wins hands down. As it should with the price difference.

6 Likes

Are they both from the same masters? Comparing a digital version of something to an analog version isn’t really valid, IMO, if they aren’t the same masters. I can play two analog LPs of the same recording, and they can sound radically different if they are different masters. For example, I have the Rhino reissue of Crosby, Stills, Nash s/t from about 10 years ago and the new Atlantic 75 AP 45 of the same album. The former is a crappy mastering that sounds like someone threw a carpet over the speakers, and the latter is excellent. They sound vastly different.

Personally, I have come to believe that comparing vinyl LPs to digital sources is mostly non-sensical, because how can one possibly determine enough equivalence in gear? Otherwise the comparison is just as much about gear as it the source.

I just prefer playing records for the most part, as I always have. I like digital too for certains things, but I don’t ever expect it to compare, especially since my analog front end is 4-5 times as costly as my digital.

2 Likes

That’s a completely valid point and no, I can’t suggest they are the same mastering.

I have been following the threads from my original posting about the difficulty I was having with the superline/282 connections. The advice from the community was very helpful. I connected the 282 and 250 to a hi-cap dr that I had before I bought the supercap. It worked with the cartridge I purchased a Kleos SL. Music’s detail was phenomenal and the cartridge was new.

Then I finally got a reply from NAIM support with different directions. I copied their email;

Sorry for the late reply !

Yes, what you are experiencing is normal.

You are currently sending a Line-Level signal directly into the NAP250’s Input without it being controlled by the Preamp.

Normally, your setup would require an extra Hicap, but it is doable with only a single Supercap.

We simply need to re-wire things differently.

Right now you should have the 2 - DIN5 cables going from the Supercap’s two Left connectors (Power and Power & Audio to the 282’s Upgrade 1 and 2.

Start by reversing these cables, either on the Suprcap or the 282, not both.

Then, feed the Nap 250 from the lower Right connector of the 282 ( Standard)

Finally, add a Din4 to Din 5 cable between one of the Signal Output connectors of the Supercap to one of the Inputs of the 282 and that will become your Phono Input when you choose a source.

My best

Michel Rousseau

These directions also solved the problem.

One last problem was the hi-line. The cable started separating and I got no sound so I had to get a new cable, not a hi-line.

Thanks for all your help.

2 Likes

Sounds complicated, but I’m glad it was resolved.

1 Like