Synergistic Research Ethernet Switch

Correct.

Hmmm, that’s an interesting outcome. Any ideas why?

No, so far any prior to the Switch only put local further ahead, hence my response above initially contemplating the Core (as the ultimate local playback and being a Naim follower for 25 years).

Will check again today, but it was so night and day i just left the local playback, shame as i had sourced a number of albums as keepers.

I would be surprised if the Naim Core is really better vs Zenith for local playback. On the similar level, probably inferior, but not better. My feeling.

2 Likes

Have a look at setup as this does not sound right. Local via Melco is definitely better for me vs streaming and I have a reasonable set up. Naturalness and instrument texture is key for me. Streaming introduces a level of hash that introduces tension and sharper highs to the music along with a slightly thinner body, less front to back sound stage also. Bass is not handled so well either. Just my experience within my own setup of course.

1 Like

Good timing i was listening and about 20 mins ago swapped to a local album 24/44 i even listen to this on my mobile and car so know it very well, result the first 30 seconds the local album is nowhere near as good as the closest streamed equivalent, Qobuz 16 bit.

The detail, air, subtlness of detail is effortless in comparison, bass is still off the Switch, but i am hoping another few days 24/7 run in will help.

Im still reminiscent of that old CB and Olive Naim sound and miss it, but the new range is a departure i think it suits a more mainstream crowd, as opposed to relentless PRaT and in your face leading edge.

I can understand, even if I personally prefer the new range.

It doesn’t seem right your local music doesn’t sound at least as good as the cloud streaming. It should sound better I think.

Agreed, but so far not in this instance.

Doesn’t sound like an ideal product then, or set up in general.

1 Like

Try to connect the Nova to SR and the Innuos to SR, not anymore by usb to Spdif. Then use the Naim app or Sense ( if it works). Maybe you will have very different results. Just for fun.

It is the best it has ever sounded, and setup has bee otimised.

Optimised - for online streaming it seems! Has it made any difference at all to local streaming, positive or negative? it may be useful for people pondering this if you were to describe or sketch your network layout.

2 Likes

My prior setup was:
Sky Router - Cisco 2960 (Ethernet) - Innuos Zenith (direct BNC) - Audiophilleo SPDIF - Naim Nova.

My current setup is:
Sky Router - SR Switch (Ethernet) - Innuos Zenith (direct BNC) - Audiophilleo SPDIF - Naim Nova.

Streaming Qobuz, Local either ripped with the Zenith or purchased from Qobuz)

I’m surprised at that. Adding my ansuz brought qubuz to local files level but not better unless the source recording is better. I’m also using the zenith 3 but with a phonix usb into chord mscaler and TT 2. SQ is the best I’ve ever had.

1 Like

For along while is contemplated options to avoid the SPDIF convention as Naim products offer no USB direct, sadly the Phoenix USB wouldn’t solve that so i passed, but maybe Innuos offer Ethenet to Naim streamers i can remove the Audiophilleo, that said i do like what it does and more of us are realising a good clock and minimising playback noise are critical, oh and power supplies.

16 bit Qobuz vs 24 bit local, same album, you prefer Qobuz via your new switch. I keep reading that some prefer Qobuz over Tidal as well. I just wonder, is Qobuz modifying their streams through some sort of filter to excite the music on the fly, maybe?

Most comparisons are more likely to be the other way round. Lots of Qobuz material is 24 bit, either 44, 96 or 192, whereas local for many means CD rips at 16/44.1.

Correct, in this case he’s comparing the opposite, 16 bit Qobuz vs 24 bit local, prefers Qobuz in his comparison of one album, post #66.