System Pics 2021

@MIKEVET Sounds like you have the speaker connections reversed.

So as per picture . My speaker to the right as I look at it, is connect to the terminal Left , so wrong way
Round then ! ?

Yes, you have it the wrong way around. Which is fully understandable as it means if your amp is in the middle of the speakers, you have to effectively cross over the speaker wires. No doubt someone will be able to give a really good reason why that it.

@MIKEVET Turning the balance to the left (anti-clockwise) should increase the volume in the left speaker. Turning the balance to the right (clockwise) should increase the volume in the right speaker.

There was a discussion about the centre of balance controls last year, in which I posted this picture of my Supernait2 showing the start and end points - as you can see the ‘middle’ is slightly left of ‘North’. I set mine by ear, and indeed it matches this position.

2 Likes

My Supernait2 balance control is exactly the same as in your image.

1 Like

This might help

Naim started out producing a small number of amps for commercial use. In this case it is normal for the speaker terminals to be on the front of the amp to facilitate regular plugging and unplugging. In this case, L and R would be correct.
This practice continued on the other 99.99% of Naim amps which were produced for the domestic market, with occasional references to their commercial heritage when asked.
They finally started putting them the right way round on the current Uniti range, just to confuse you even more!

3 Likes

Having a Nova and a SN2, this always catches me out!

1 Like

Thanks for the answers and sorry for the digression. My dealer set my amp up last month , maybe an oversight on his behalf

Neither of my Naim pre amps arrived with the balance knob centred. On a 282 it can be pulled off and moved round a spline or two if you’re careful of the wires to the LED and their routing so they don’t limit the knob’s travel. The 552 wasn’t so simple as it needed opening and the application of a very large spanner, my dealer made a house call for this one, all part of the service.

1 Like

I will swap my SL cables to the speakers round.

1 Like

Why is it so hard for Naim just to make this right on all amps and products? They just mess things up for their customers. People don’t really care how it was 250 years ago when it had a meaning. Sometimes I wonder what planet Naim Product management live on.

1 Like

Take a Beck’s and have a lie down

3 Likes

Sorry Mike went to bed after I posted.

School boy error on your dealers part :grin:

Naughty pete

Alternatively, why is it so hard for owners to read the manual? You can’t blame Naim if people don’t bother to make the effort.

6 Likes

Very good point HH - it ain’t that difficult

So what’s the logic reason behind R/L not being streamlined between Naim products? Why the resistance in just make it simple removing all questions? You can make the most challenging product in the world and just point at a 500 pages manual. Is that a great UX you think?

1 Like

I’d suggest you are creating an issue that doesn’t exist. It’s all in the manual. There are more important things to worry about.

3 Likes

In his defense , I had my 250 wired incorrectly and he just swapped terminals over. Thanks for the answers .Back to the thread in hand…