System Pics 2021

Congratulations @Neil0001, that should keep you happily entertained for as long as you want it to.

2 Likes

Just a PSU for the Ndx2 and that would be the perfect end game system for me.

Congrats and thoroughly enjoy

1 Like

Congrats, Neil. That 250 will be crying out for a Supercap very soon. In the meantime, enjoy it!:sunglasses:

1 Like

Neil - Are you planning on running two different versions of Hicap (a DR and non DR version) on the 282 ?

1 Like

Having an experiment with it. Obviously won’t be as good as 2 x DR, but been advised it will work. Going to let it all warm up and then flick between the options.

2 Likes

It’ll work but two Hicaps with different regulator versions (LM317 vs DR) will give you a different sound signature on the left and right channels which may sound a bit strange.

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/naim-nac82-nac282-with-2-psus/17432

2 Likes

Ah, I thought it was more along the frequency range that the 2 hicaps worked, rather than channels? Interesting…

Yeah there’s been quite a lot of debate over the years on how the two Hicaps worked on the 282 and 82 - Was it Left and Right, was it front to back etc, hence Richard’s definitive ‘answer from the factory’ post in the FAQ section.
No harm trying but I think you’ll get better results with a single Hicap, especially the DR version rather than two mismatched versions. Anyway, enjoy your 282 – a lovely pre-amp. I really enjoyed mine. :+1:

Ah! I’ll have a look at that. Thanks for the heads up…

That’s really useful and thanks for the link to the FAQ… that answers it all for me. 2nd HICAP disconnected…. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Congratulations!

A very nice upgrade and as someone else mentioned adding a XPS DR or 555 PS DR to the NDX 2 would be a lovely end game.

(you still have the NAP 200 DR listed in your profile)

1 Like

Thanks, and profile sorted. Yes, the XPS DR will be a big move, because I’ll then have to change my rack arrangements as well.

1 Like

It’s always slightly annoying when you unveil your latest purchase only for people to say what you should buy next but …

Trading those Hicaps in for a Supercap could be interesting

2 Likes

Indeed, and that will be a while down the road, as I’ll be following the source first mantra. So it will be saving for the XPS DR first. But, as I just said to someone else, adding any more boxes, causes racking and logistic challenges. So, I’m just going to be enjoying this nicely balanced system for a while.

3 Likes

Supercap just replaces the Hicaps. No shelving issues. It’s inevitable :grinning:

Begone satan… not today! Lol :joy:

4 Likes

In all my Naim Upgrades the Supercap DR on the 282 was the biggest and the best I have done so far. Much greater affect than from 200 to 250 DR and 272/XP5XS to 282 Hicap. It transforms the 282 into a completely different animal

1 Like

Do it, Neil…go on…you know you want to :innocent:

No, the 250 was an unexpected purchase so I’m sticking here for a goodly while. As I said somewhere, this setup has been my goal for some good few years, so I’m going to spend sometime enjoying it.

7 Likes

Absolutely right, wishing you many many hours of listening pleasure, well done on reaching this level Neil, what an awesome place to be. ATB

Just stick with 2 HCDRs! I’ve yet to hear anyone say their SCDR is not as good as 2 HCDRs on this forum. But I do know two guys locally who tell me going from 2 olive HCs to a SC on their 82s was no improvement. ( I bought one of these guys olive HC for one of my 72s) .
It may be different for a 282.