System Pics 2021

Cable clutter, that looks tidy!
If you haven´t seen any real clutter, go to Cable Undressing - #316 by jlewis

Cheers
Gunnar

Good, there´s hope for the next generation :clap:

There isn’t a house in this country without cracks in the plaster, right??!! :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Think I might be tempted to leave this one where it is. :thinking:

12 Likes

Temporary arrangement as the NDX2 is poorly and has gone back for TLC and adjustment. Interesting to have the Bluesound and Dac-v1 wired up to the main system. As one would hope, I’m definitely noticing the difference. Lack of musicality, engagement and definition across the range compared to the NDX2. Hope it comes back soon… That said this pair operate excellently with my KEF LSX as my office system.

13 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking, what are the dimensions for the room that houses the SCM100ASLTs ?

thanks

Not at all, probably 20ftx12ft with the speakers firing across. Not ideal as they would be better firing down but the listening position is triangulated to the speakers and I find that works best given the constraints I have.

I’m certainly not overwhelmed at that distance anyway. I will post some pictures that give you an idea tomorrow.

1 Like

Maybe the right channel is faulty :grin:

Hi there, what is your Nova sitting on - home made job or something you have bought?

Regards
Gary

Gary

It’s a Solid Sounds 20mm levelling plinth with 10mm CNC finished isolation glass shelf and I am very pleased with it.

I wanted to try and mirror the effect of Fraim without, obviously, sticking a Fraim level below the Nova.

1 Like

Thanks, much appreciated…

That helps, the Listening room here is circa 15’ x 13’ - firing across…the (adjoining) Lounge is circa 21’ x’ 15’ so I can appreciate yr room size vs the SCM100’s…nice !
Is the speaker finish in ‘oak’ ?
If I am not being a PITA, what size is the SCM40 room…

Enjoy and thanks

Apologies to all for the distraction - Happy (wet) Saturday

Thanks, it looks very smart!

Perfect day for listening to your vinyl ( or whatever music format suits you) :wink:

Enjoy
R

1 Like

:+1: nice one…the gardening can wait… :open_umbrella:

currently ‘streaming’, the TT/arm are awaiting ‘fettling’ and a new cartridge fitting.

Here as promised some pictures although size is difficult to fully convey

SCM100s both ways

The SCM40s are a bit different as they fire down the room into an Orangery so probably about 30x12 in total. This should give you an idea taken from the Nova

Finish on both is Cherry believe it or not. They are both light particularly the 40s but as it happens they match the furniture very well so I’m not concerned. Dealer reckons they will darken with age.

25 Likes

Many thanks, that helps me…

Rooms/systems look really good, well chosen/considered !

We are mainly oak furniture, Isoblue is ash, so I got ATC to supply me the lightest Cherry they had - a slight mis-match however not bad.

When I demoed the SCM50’s the speakers at that time were firing ‘downwards’, now they are ‘across’, and with a Nap500 in place I think I will re-demo the 50’s - the local dealer still has a pair…

Have a good Saturday, and thanks again.

I have the 808s in a room which is not that large. They are pretty close to the wall and one corner of the room but sound superb. The man who runs/owns Kudos said they were very adaptable to living spaces and he was right. So, if you don’t have a large living space don’t let that put you off trying them

1 Like

Interesting that your main rig with the SCM100s goes against much of the received wisdom (?) that speakers of that sort of size should be used in much larger rooms and/or well away from room boundaries.

My unloved (by the wider buying public) Usher speakers are in a 12’x10’ room firing down the long axis and, with recent system revisions, actually work extremely well given the small size of the room.

In many an idle moment, I had entertained the idea of getting an ATC pre-amp and the SCM50ASLTs in place of my 52/135s. The reality is though, my listening room is just not big enough. I could potentially extend it by having the adjoining shower room removed, but I’m not too sure what my other half would make of it.

Our lounge is the family room and all I want in there eventually is a big TV, Sennheiser soundbar and my sub woofer.

Had I not made a substantial investment in my passive set up, I would give active speakers serious consideration.

Yes I know but it works for me and like most of us a lot of it is needs must. I am also breaking the ‘rule’ about putting the system in between the speakers but there we go.

As a personal choice, if I were you and was considering the SCM50s I would keep the 52 in the first instance and see how you got on. I think the preamp largely defines the Naim ‘sound’ so if you enjoy that it is probably the solution to consider first.

3 Likes

An old friend returns from a decade long loan, no room at the inn so forced to rest of the floor, sounds staggeringly good still, good old Arcam Alpha 9 CD player.

12 Likes