System Pics 2021

I don’t have a spare shelf Mike! :joy::crazy_face:

2 Likes

You’ll need another Fraim level as well then :relaxed:

Thanks Bokermonz. I always used Exposure amps and sometimes swapping to a Nait but really like the Ion amps.

1 Like

The Ion amps were very good.

I used to have the same monoblocks paired with a ‘special’ Ion pre-amp which was done for me. It happened that my ex Naim/Ion/Linn dealer became the production manager for Ion!

The Nexus amps were a clever design. You could start with a stereo power amp with 2 mono ‘cards’ in one case with a single power supply. To upgrade to monoblocks then required a second case with power supply and you moved one of your existing mono cards into the new case and the gap was blanked off.

I changed from a 42/Hicap/250 to the Ion setup. The Ion amps were smoother and went down further in the bass and probably matched my speakers better as these became the Ion JC1 speakers. I’m not sure with hindsight they were better but suspect that system synergy was a factor.

Have they been serviced? I expect that they would benefit after all these years. Nytech can do this I understand.

4 Likes

Something about that system and room I really like. :+1: Think the system video brought it to life as well. Xps dr this year to finish it off?

1 Like

Thanks Stu,

Who knows we shall see. Having a young family and with everything going on, I want to prioritise the garden this year as I have a feeling we will be spending a fair amount of time in it (weather permitting :roll_eyes:)

I will try and get a Vids thread running again at some point as I know lots did seem to like it. It is a faff however compared with a pic.

:+1:t2:

1 Like

Quick question and this might seem a daft question , as you look at my system , if I turn the balance button to the left . It moves sound to the right speaker ( right of my television) and vice versatile . Is that correct . I feel that when the balance is at 12 o’clock the sound appears to be louder on the speaker to the left of my tv . Is the balance button not exact and are connect the correct way round ?

Speakers connected the wrong way around on the amp?

1 Like

@MIKEVET Sounds like you have the speaker connections reversed.

So as per picture . My speaker to the right as I look at it, is connect to the terminal Left , so wrong way
Round then ! ?

Yes, you have it the wrong way around. Which is fully understandable as it means if your amp is in the middle of the speakers, you have to effectively cross over the speaker wires. No doubt someone will be able to give a really good reason why that it.

@MIKEVET Turning the balance to the left (anti-clockwise) should increase the volume in the left speaker. Turning the balance to the right (clockwise) should increase the volume in the right speaker.

There was a discussion about the centre of balance controls last year, in which I posted this picture of my Supernait2 showing the start and end points - as you can see the ‘middle’ is slightly left of ‘North’. I set mine by ear, and indeed it matches this position.

2 Likes

My Supernait2 balance control is exactly the same as in your image.

1 Like

This might help

Naim started out producing a small number of amps for commercial use. In this case it is normal for the speaker terminals to be on the front of the amp to facilitate regular plugging and unplugging. In this case, L and R would be correct.
This practice continued on the other 99.99% of Naim amps which were produced for the domestic market, with occasional references to their commercial heritage when asked.
They finally started putting them the right way round on the current Uniti range, just to confuse you even more!

3 Likes

Having a Nova and a SN2, this always catches me out!

1 Like

Thanks for the answers and sorry for the digression. My dealer set my amp up last month , maybe an oversight on his behalf

Neither of my Naim pre amps arrived with the balance knob centred. On a 282 it can be pulled off and moved round a spline or two if you’re careful of the wires to the LED and their routing so they don’t limit the knob’s travel. The 552 wasn’t so simple as it needed opening and the application of a very large spanner, my dealer made a house call for this one, all part of the service.

1 Like

I will swap my SL cables to the speakers round.

1 Like

Why is it so hard for Naim just to make this right on all amps and products? They just mess things up for their customers. People don’t really care how it was 250 years ago when it had a meaning. Sometimes I wonder what planet Naim Product management live on.

1 Like