System Pics 2022

Love the room….enjoy👍

Very tasteful room :+1:t3: Enjoy Peter

1 Like

Was trying to get a shot of sunlight on my speakers and got distracted trying to match cover art to the light outside the window. How did I do?

33 Likes

I think Soft Cell is the better match but I prefer the OMD album musically.

2 Likes

Now there’s a non sequitur if ever I saw one.

Cover art is a better match to the light outside (Soft Cell Album). Or am I missing something?

Ha. It was me. I missed the original question. I’ll go back to sleep.

1 Like

“Hair brushed and parted……”

1 Like

Nice system and nice to see another Vienna Acoustics speaker here in the forum. I use VA Haydn Grands (only) and I think they sound very well with Naim— look here.
What is your experience?

1 Like

This pair are officially only on home demo but I have already moved them into my profile so I think we can assume they are staying. They are the single biggest and most impactful change I have made in my system since I first heard Naim.

I got to hear them at my dealer when I was picking up a 250dr to demo. I was blown away by the realness of the sound and the imaging of the vocals. I asked him to play the same piece through the Sopra 2s he had nearby but didn’t get the same realness and found the top end too bright.

In my house they are in poor position against some windows and unable to come further in to the room but they sound incredible. Have been enjoying going back to the music of my younger days - hence the soft cell and OMD!

3 Likes

Ardbeg10y,

Thanks for your comment about the Linn Ikemi. I’ve had it for quite some time and can’t fault it. A few years ago I added a Chord 2Qute DAC, but I can’t comment on any possible SQ improvement as there were one or two other upgrades at the same time.

Brian D.

2 Likes

I have compared the Vienna Acoustics Hydn to some other speakers like B&W 706 or Sonus Faber Sonetto 1 at my dealer. And the VA sounded best. VA is not so well known here in the forum but I think it‘s a good choice with Naim. Enjoy your wonderful system.

1 Like

Brian,

Your system looks really lovely - as does the room. Just curious to know do you use your Stax headphones much and how do they compare with listening through the speakers? I ask because many years ago I had Stax headphones with a Linn/Naim system (Kan speakers) and although they sounded very different to the Kans they were absolutely superb and in many ways better than anything else I had ever heard.

2 Likes

Some added Entreq and change to Lejonklou Slipsik 7.1.

26 Likes

Pete01,

Thanks for your message and your comments.

I use the headphones quite a lot - mostly when my partner Anne heads off to bed! Obviously, the sound is different from the Isobariks, particularly in terms of the physicallity of the bass. You will remember that the electrostatics give a lovely clean and detailed sound and I would recommend them to anyone. The headset I use is closed-back, but I also have an open-backed pair and both are power by the same unit.

Headphone listening is definitely different from using the loudspeakers and, now that you have made me think more about it, I guess that anyone who is serious about getting the best from their music would want to use both options.

I would be very interested in the opinions of others.

Brian D.

2 Likes

Brian,

Thanks for your reply. I agree that headphone listening is an entirely different experience from speakers, particularly as you point out, one doesn’t have the ‘feel’ of bass. I do remember my Stax headphones as being wonderfully clear and detailed and my Kans sounding quite muffled in comparison!

I’m seriously considering purchasing some Stax headphones again. As you point out, they give an entirely different but nevertheless equally valid view of the music. My speakers are large floor-standing Klipsch Forte III’s (roughly the same size as the Isobariks) and I had originally thought to get some headphones that mimicked the voicing of these as closely as possible. However I now think that’s the wrong approach. The experience is so intrinsically different that it’s better to accept that and to treat it completely differently. Stax are certainly the very best headphones I’ve ever heard and I think you are right when you say that having both enables you to get the very best from your music.

2 Likes

Some pictures of my gorgeous new Dan D’Agostino/dCS system. See “NEXIT” thread for more detail. I couldn’t be happier.

42 Likes

Always been curious about D’Agostino but never had the opportunity to listen. Lovely system.

1 Like

Steampunk hifi.

3 Likes

Needs more cogs🤠

1 Like