System Pics 2022

If all the regulars on this forum counted the albums in a randomly-selected 20cms section of their collections the mean of that figure is likely to be a highly reliable indicator for KJC.

@KJC
It depends…
When I look at my own modest collection, I notice two key differences.

Older albums - maybe 80’s and earlier - tend to be single slip covers. Each containing standard lighter vinyl records. These work out to be 200-210 per linear metres.

Newer vinyl - recent years - on the whole tend to be in gatefold double cover album sleeves. They contain mostly heavier 180g vinyl records. Some of them pressed onto two discs. I calculate only maybe 140-150 albums per liner metre for these.

I’m guessing a mix of types might fall In between, maybe 170-180 per linear metre

Hope that helps.

Good luck

KR
R

2 Likes

I’ve got about 300 in cubes, totalling 1.8m long, so 167/m.

1 Like

Obviously, the greater the sample the more reliable it may be (though different people may pack them with more or less density or have more or less gatefolds compared to one’s own collection). But for real-world purposes, counting a representative 20 cm of one’s own collection is good enough. (Or count 4 samples of 10 cm or whatever)

New in 2021; the Sonus Faber Amatis (to replace B&W 804d2’s), an Innuos zen mk3(to replace an ancient qnap nas) and a Sennheiser HDV 820 headphone amp. The rega rp6 spent a good deal of last year in the shop (tonearm short) and so was missing in the 2021 photos. Also in the shop for months the NDS ( screen replacement then loss of left channel). In all this, an audioquest cobalt running off the Innuos was a lifesaver, in fact really good. Nevertheless, no more faffing about (a term I had never heard of prior to this forum), just music in 2022!

60 Likes

The boxed albums throw it out a bit, especially when there’s only two discs in the box but even when there’s more there tends to be a lump of foam padding it out, or the space left by one at least. The Solti Ring is positively frugal in its use of shelf space compared to some of them.

I’d never be able to reach the turn table. :rofl::rofl::+1:

4 Likes

FWIW 56. Older records, mainly single sleeve, some folded sleeves.

Edit: Actually 58

I’m 6ft 1in so it works great for me

Wish I could give mine. Sadly all my vinyl perished in the nineties when the water main in my house blew when I was away, filling the ground floor to a depth of around 3 feet.

Like a twit I spent the insurance payout on CDs.

Chaps, would you mind identifying the components in your pictures?

Thanks

You’ll find that most people include their system details in their profile, which is much better than having to type out the detail in a system pic. You might like to do the same, rather than simply ‘various’.

6 Likes

Why thankyou! …depends. I use the Streamer far more - I’ve built up and extensive (6Tb) Library of Hi Res music and favourite Vinyl Rips - so I tend to use that more.

Weekend days are Vinyl days though… Just something about the physicality, and of course it sounds great!

2 Likes

After being in this obsession for over 45 years I have finally and willing been initiated into the “Cult of Naim”. I could not be happier. It’s time to enjoy the music.

Integrated Amp: Naim SUPERNAIT 3
Streaming Platform: Naim ND5 XS 2
CD Player: Naim CD5X
Phono Preamp: PS Audio Stellar
Turntable: VPI Scout 1.1
Cartridge: Hana ML
Speakers: Dynaudio Evoke 50
Rack: Adona 45 Series
Room Treatment: ASC Tube Traps / Sound Panels

65 Likes

Thanks, never bothered to check posters’ profiles until now.

Will change my equipment list from various in due course

1 Like

Also, you don’t reply to yourself, but to the person you are trying to thank!

1 Like

Yes, was trying to post while doing Sunday chores.

Anyway Double Thanks.:+1:t3:

1 Like

Thats my first view of a caged Naim, it must be a wild system Graham.

1 Like

This is candidate for the best Man Cave system, Adam.

I’ll need to give it a clean, but that could then. Disqualify it. ……

It is an absolutely epic place to escape, for sure.