System Pics 2022

Thanks, I’m very happy with both the looks and the performance.

2 Likes

Around 30 years separates these players of outmoded formats, yet they are both rather wonderful.

30 Likes

Looks fabulous James. Very tempted to give the Organik DSM a try myself. How good do you think the preamp function is?
The possibility of losing my 5 box streamer/pre ( 3 of which buzz like hornets much of the time) is very attractive IF it could be done without sonic compromise…

3 Likes

wow, stunning.

1 Like

It’s very good all round, still evaluating after a little time with covid but the level of transparency and detail the Linn is capable of is very special - mine is going into active ATC’s and early signs are it’s working better in my room than the 552, NDS/555.

Gary

31 Likes

Slightly less hazy picture!

28 Likes

I’d be interested to know how you’ve got it set up. Do you, for instance, run the LP12 through the KDSM too, or is that through the 552? If the latter, does that then feed through the KDSM? Or are you having to swap speaker cables over? Sorry, I don’t understand how the KDSM works as a preamp. Thanks.

1 Like

Very nice Gary - enjoy :+1:

1 Like

Hi Kevin - By preamp, do you mean handling external analogue inputs or the internal volume control (so you can run direct into a power amp (or amps) ?

I’m in the same place.

1 Like

Hi James, I don’t know the product beyond the blurb on the website/reviews, but it was my impression that it could act as both streamer and preamp. Like @Clive , I’d be wanting to send my LP12 through it and get at least as good a sound as I do from using the 552. I suspect that’s a tall order and/or their might be compatibility issues. Interested to hear what you think.
Kevin

Very interesting Gary. Does that comment go for the LP12 too? Sounds as good or better than it did via the 552?

Just getting over covid but now have a couple of days to dive into to all aspects of 552, NDS /555 v the linn - currently the LP12 is plugged straight into the linn.

After hearing the active ATC’s in my room the 300 and relevant super lumina cables and Focsl Kanta’s have gone so some simplicity has already been achieved!

The end game could easily be lp12, Radikal, linn DSM in the ATC’s (3 boxes) but have some time to evaluate v the Naim system.

I tried the linn selekt a while back but it was way to polite and missed the “slam” of Naim but this new DSM has a layer of transparency and detail that is very impressive.

I have a dedicated room so box count is my choice but after a couple of recent issues it became a mare trying to solve why my system sounded poor with so many boxes /cables -getting to the root cause was farcical (story for another day) but now less in my mind is more.

Will report back but it’s close to cost neutral if I sell fraim, powerlines and Naim boxes to fund the linn but will require some good listening and thinking to get to a decision - would rather focus on music than system but that’s not been the case since I moved house and the sound collapsed…….

Gary

4 Likes

Looks and I imagine sounds wonderful, I had a similar mind to go this sort of route myself, the performance/complexity ratio alone is enormously appealing. My own point of reference is a maxed out Selekt DSM so I’m certainly familiar with the general experience, that’s driving my office setup currently but is specified to handle multichannel audio as/when required.
I really like what you’ve done here with adding those ATC actives, I think you’re on to something with that one.

2 Likes

Myself is very tempted to try Linn Klimax DSM with ATC SCM 100 Active. 1 box + active and call it a day. Hopefully these 2 combo is really what it takes to just forget boxes and enjoy music.

2 Likes

Did you get that just from the colour! Impressive. Yes its from Music on Vinyl and yes its a digital source which I believe all their releases are but is sounds great nonetheless. It’s the first time Deep Dive is out on vinyl - limited to 2500 copies. I have number 20.

1 Like

Hi Kevin –

I’m still familiarising myself with the Linn Eco (Eko ?) system – a bit different after so long with Naim and their way of doing things.

In the KDSM, Linn digitise the 3 analogue inputs (2xRCA, 1x XLR) so they can process signals in the digital domain – DSP for Space Optimisation (If you use this functionality), for the digital volume control and to pass the signals out (via the Exakt link) to Linn active loudspeakers (which contain Exakt crossovers and amps) or to the Exaktbox crossover and individual amps to take other speakers active. It has RCA and XLR outputs to feed into a pre or integrated amp, or can go straight into a power amp (or as Gary has done, straight into active speakers).

For the LP12, the Linn approach is to digitise and apply RIAA equalisation to the delicate low level signal at the internal phono preamp ( Urika 2) and then pass the signal via an Exakt link cable to the KDSM.

In my application, I don’t need any analogue inputs but I do want to end up with a system where the KDSM is either being used in fixed level mode (no internal volume control) to drive an integrated amp or in variable volume mode (internal digital volume control) to drive a power amp directly. One of the reasons I’m keen to hear what the KDSM sounds like fronting a Naim 300DR power amp as one of the power amp options.

Back to system pics - apologies to all for the diversion !

4 Likes

good design is ageless…

1 Like

A day off for me (swiss national day), but my wife is teleworking so i am listening through grado RS1 and hicapped headline2.

All bundies as far as i know de-stressed and not touching the floor. No mains cables in the vicinity of signal cables. Also recently stripped down, dusted and put back together to my wife’s satisfaction :rofl:

18 Likes

Happy holiday. :+1:

1 Like