System Pics 2022

Yeah, the Divider-Records stuff is awesome. They do beautiful work and have been great working with me on custom solutions. They spent a half-year getting the black ash finish right, and it matches my black Fraim perfectly.

40 Likes

The newer amps (supernait for example) are more tolerant than olive or chrome bumper amps, but they still don’t like cables such as litz, kimber, electrofluidics …… “your mileage may vary”, as they say, but it’s not recommended.

2 Likes

The switches are a legacy of the room been set up as my office many years ago and I moved the main system into that room last year. I could look at replacing them with non-switched plugs - you are right.

I had planned to get a dedicated line installed a few weeks ago whilst the ceiling was being repaired, but the electrician let me down. There is possibly another route to run a line direct to this wall socket from under the kitchen and through the cavity wall. But the room itself is on a single spur anyway, but with the 14 power sockets all on the spur. Having researched power supplies a bit more, I think having the large seperate power supplies on the piggy back arrangement is a good solution as it removes connections and maintains the star earthing arrangement, resulting in the best isolation from noise.

3 Likes

How long have you had the D7.2s and what did you compare them to?

A few weeks now, still getting them warmed up and tuning placement, but they’re sounding great.

I listened to so many speakers before landing on these:
Majik 140s, Fyne, Totems, Dynaudio of all shapes and sizes, various KEFs, Wharfdale, Monitor Audio, Focal Aria, even Sabrina X (amazing, but way out of budget).

After all that, and three auditions with them, I thought the Spendor D7.2 were the clear winner with the SN3 and fit the budget.

I really liked the Spendor A7s as well, but they were better matched with other amps in my opinion.

1 Like

Love the piece of Art! My eye went to it first then the Solstice…

1 Like

It’s a lovely piece of furniture but… what ARE those things? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’m very sure he’s repurposed a children’s book rack. Here’s almost an identical design handmade in Hiroshima… used for childrens books.

18 Likes

I’ll give you a zoom tour one Saturday!

1 Like

My humble system

32 Likes

Do you know Yan Zoritchak , a Slovene artist?

9 Likes

Very nice FR :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

I hope you’ve got a heat mat under that oil burner!

1 Like

Thanks. I have a pair on order. You don’t see too many on here. Quite surprised how good they were. It was between them and the SCM40 for me. The ATC’s were a bit big for my room.

2 Likes

Time for a complete system again, now that the turntable is back in situ after being fettled at Vertere.

The turntable has returned with the Tempo motor & drive, plus the Vertere Techno Mat, a few small upgrades and most importantly, Touraj himself has set it all up to extract every last ounce (or gram) of musical goodness from it.

Gosh it’s good. Similar scale of improvement over the SG-1 motor drive that a Radikal brings to an LP12, plus the benefit of Touraj’s optimised set-up. I just can’t seem to stop playing records…

Oh, and Simon Price kindly delivered the last of the smoked glass shelves for the Simrak.

Best regards, BF

57 Likes

Just to support this, from my limited experience, whenever we introduce outside elements into a Naim system… it’s usually an improvement in one or a few areas, but often at the detriment of others, mostly in the PRT… I might get better mid-range bloom, and even clarity, highs… but at the expense of PRT and the overall sonics.

However, we listen to music very differently, and if the Danish Naim dealer recommend the Kimber to be a safe match… be happy and enjoy… I guess Robert H and I are just concerned with keeping the Naim amps stable in use and of course “preserving” the Naim sonics as it should. Maybe the new black boxes are a little more tolerant of outside cables.

I found some Kimber cables to be excellent outside Naim and remember the clarity of the KCAG interconnect and then 8TCs. But since I love Naim sound… I’ll stick to stock Naims as I am quite a purist … but I have to admit to being seduced by the likes of Witchhat, the hideously costly Chord Music and Gutwire power cables… but at what cost?

Does life have to be so difficult? lol :sweat_smile:

By the way, the Naca 5s still sound good… they just need to be suitably soldered in the right lengths and run-in for at least 6 months or more, and cable-set-up carefully to sound their best. I have found their supposed brittle highs to be mitigated with proper power spurs to the system but can only share this in the context of a top olive system. The black boxes today will be even more refined, so I don’t see how the Naca 5s will sound harsh if set up carefully.

Cheers

Phil P

naimniac for life

My SBLs from the good old times.

34 Likes

If ORAC had a turntable back in the day, this would be it.
I know…who’s ORAC?

4 Likes

I did have a TT back in the day, unfortunately not a good as that one. It was an early Pioneer model, model escapes me.

Suspect you may be referring to something more associated with Blake’s 7. :grinning::grinning:

Ah, another perspex wonder!

1 Like