System Pics 2022

Hi
If you don’t mind me asking - what have you got between the ikea boards and the unit itself?
Cheers Simon

1 Like

Ignore. Silly me, misunderstood the question. Duh.

These look like an option…

5 Likes

Looks very neat. I love the cable organisers!

1 Like

I actually use these from Wilko.

I first used them under the plinths that I made for my small tannoy floorstanders on a wooden floor and they worked really well. I’m sure there are more capable solutions out there for a price. The theory seems to be so isolate the board from the surface it is on then couple the boards to the electronics to ‘remove’ their internal vibrations. I have not done the latter yet as:

1. there are many ways to do this and some are very expensive.
  2. I like what I am hearing at the moment anyway.
  3. both Naim and Arcam are manufacturers that put a lot of effort into vibration reduction/management, e.g the Arcam FMJ line used special steels and other things to reduce the effect of this.

I have also used the mid-sized boards on the ‘main system’ in the office too! These are metal shelves (IKEA again) but I deadened them with Silent Coat underneath - it’s like Dynamat but cheaper.

6 Likes

Sorry, I assumed your response was a Star Wars reference. ‘These are the boards you are looking for’.

1 Like

This is proper usage:

17 Likes

So presumably you rub the Salmon oil into the wood for even better vibration absorption - nice, but potentailly smelly?

6 Likes

It’s bigger brother is used for hifi purposes.

what’s bigger than the salmon??

Cod. :fish:

Whale :flushed:

1 Like

Don’t get the two mixed up👃

Surely Plaice goes better with Naim - something about that “i”…

1 Like

I must admit I wondered why Ikea made the blocks exactly the size of an LP12 and the vast majority of hifi components.

3 Likes

Very carefully, no intention of offending, halibut.
You tend not to see really large ones these days, when I worked in Macfisheries the shop manager ordered “one halibut” for Easter week. It took three of us to lift it into the window display.

2 Likes

Nah, I’m not that clever!..Although my tagline on another forum is 'I’m not the Audiophile you’re looking for…move on" or somesuch.

I just misunderstood Andy’s question.

1 Like

As you can see above I also use Ikea Aptitlik Butchers Block in another approach. Link: above. I think Bamboo has well known good absorption properties and is often used for Hifi Racks too. The dimensions of Aptitlik correspond to the standard dimensions of hi-fi components. I use sorbothane hemispheres for downward insulation.

Don’t worry mate it’s old age - caught me years ago!

:rofl:

1 Like

You won’t go hungry with a halibut :sunglasses:

3 Likes