System Pics 2023

Nice looking speakers that obviously work close to rear wall :+1:
What are they if I may ask?

I still have my original Sony MD player, still works and in the system. Great piece of kit. Just nostalgia really for a good format, that came out just too late.

2 Likes

@Yorkshireman
Hi the result is in.
I’ve just copied the email he sent me with his decision made.
He has a Klimax LP12 and Kudos Super 20A speakers amongst other things I can’t remember all the numbers.
“ Well the amp auditioning has come to a natural conclusion. The A21SE is a lovely amp but to my ears, with my front ends and more specifically, with my speakers in my room, the Anniversary 50 is the clear winner.

Its grip, clarity and fluidity at the bottom octaves is significantly better than the A21SE. Drums, bass guitar, synthesisers all sound very clear and realistic to me. The mids, especially voices, seem more real - voices sometimes seemed more recessed on the 21SE. The top end is clearer and more controlled on the Anv. 50. But most importantly, the 50 it is just more fun and involving.

The Anniversary 50 is just in a different league to me and has no listener fatigue to its sound. Not a difficult decision in the end.
Hope you find this interesting he is a good friend and doesn’t rush into things. :sunglasses: :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Nice setup. You’re using a PS1 mk 2 for the cd transport?? SACD if I’m right? If so, how is it if I may ask?

That’s a possibility! For some reason I didn’t want to go beyond square, but that’s just silly as 240w x 200d (as an example) is just a deepish bookshelf turned 90° X)

I think the suggested 240w x 250d x 1000h will work though.

1 Like

Almost, Player not Transport.
It has a really cool DAC all of its own, that was only in the original release models as I understand it.
The sound signature is very ‘analogue’ and is much more enjoyable to listen to than my old Linn Genki was.
I really like it and so does @knaithrover, who first brought the PlayStations abilities as a HiFi CD player to my attention.
There is a short thread on it if you’re interested:

2 Likes

No upgrades planned. It is what it is!

24 Likes

My living room is my preferred room for listening. My basement system has 10 inch Tannoy’s wall mounted in a rec room with a billiard table and a bar. It gets more use in the winter months when I have friends over to shoot pool.

23 Likes

I personally think that is the key to finding what works in particular rooms and which combinations of equipment has synergy. Provided one has the space to store the equipment properly of course.

1 Like

Added an Audiolab 7000 CDT to the living room system. Just have to get the CDs out of the loft now…

19 Likes

Mark, for the 12 inch woofer section in this design, which driver did you use, what was the alignment and are you using plate amplifiers for each woofer section?

Hi Alex. The woofer is the BMS12N630. The plate amps are Hypex fusion FA251. The whole speaker design is by troels gravesen. It’s called the CNO4. If you Google it you will see all the details. The file for the plate amp was downloaded from his website. I did nothing but follow the plans.

2 Likes

Still really enjoying recent additions into the house.
Loving the ND5 XS2

Currently listening as follows …
Qobuz + Roon →
ND5 XS2 → DC1 →
nDAC → HiLine →
SN3 + HC DR → NAC A5 →
Epos ES14 c/w Epos stands

One quick positive thought about the ES14’s.
In our 35+ journey together, they have been used with so many bits of hifi. On every single occasion, they have been good for all the additions or upgrades and found more to give. Including now, with these latest additions. Finding more detail, nuance, etc. We are so attached to them and what they do.

Sunday morning vibes - Listening, drinking coffee and browsing magazines and reading this forum…

Currently listening to Trentemoller “Memoria”, track 4 : Glow.

Happy Sunday listening to everyone
R

p.s. Yes, I know, still need to sort the levels on the Kallax :roll_eyes:

45 Likes

Hi Mark - many thanks for your answer. They look a very well built speaker pair - well done. I will have a look at his website.

1 Like

We’ve finally finished converting two rooms into one to create our new sun lounge. For a variety of reasons it has been a long project but we are very pleased with the results.

71 Likes

Lovely room and system Alex. Those open-baffle speakers look interesting. How do they sound?

1 Like

Many thanks for your kind words. We only finished putting everything in the room yesterday afternoon but have already spent a lot of time in there already.

Regarding the speakers, they are my own design and build - process of evolution with different materials to reduce resonance of the front panel. They have a very open mid range and, unsurprisingly, a clear ‘box-free’ bass. The treble could possibly benefit from a little more extension but, if I get around to it, I plan to add an upward or rear firing tweeter with its own level control using an L-pad.

The 8 inch full range driver is driven filterless by the Arcam amplifier and the two woofers per speaker are driven in stereo using the Genesis Four Channel car amplifier in bridged mode using its active filters and producing up to 300 WPC into 4 ohms x 2. I need to adjust the gains to suit this room but solid output is produced down to about 40hz.

5 Likes

Thanks Alex. The open-mid and box-free bass make sense to me. I would have expected the bass to be perhaps rather light and lacking in power but you seem to have it all well-sorted with your design. Congratualtions on a wonderful set-up.

1 Like

lovely room

1 Like

Your OB design looks similar to Spatial Audio Lab designs. Their upcoming Q series pairs a wideband driver with two 10" woofers (passive) while my X3s with active woofers produce beautifully integrated and extended bass.

1 Like