System Pics 2023

A quick system pic but there’s some dusting to do at the weekend

For you Dan an ND5XS2 I hope you are enjoying yours.

46 Likes

You know what, I’ve got used to it after NDS being away for 3 weeks now.

The ND5XS2 bare is formidable, no doubt about it. Connectivity is awesome. Loving it.

If it doesn’t sound better with NDS as DAC through 555 PS then gives me options.

I am glad I bought a pretty much brand new ND5XS2 for under £1800.

3 Likes

Or pregnant penguins as a friend once described them

2 Likes

My ex wife described floorstanders as coffins. Since we split that’s all I have bought. Floorstanders. Maybe I will get my coffin designed as Sopra! Or something more sombre like SBLs :joy:

6 Likes

I think your on the right track using the ND5XS2 as a transport, connected to the NDS on paper it should offer excellent playback using the NDS dac have you purchased Naims DC1?

1 Like

There’s an old Naim thread for that. Coffin-shaped speakers

1 Like

I really like the standby mode on ND5XS2. I wasn’t sure out of the box as I couldn’t understand the soft touch power on compared with rest of my older system. It was different and I thought something was wrong. But it makes sense now.

I am getting uaed to the box and think it is wonderful as it is. So with an NDS or some high end DAC I think it will work well.

How is it sounding with Dave and M Scaler @HiFiman ?

I have another make connect cable BNC to RCA. Will try that but will pick up used DC1. Tbh my bank account is bleeding dry after £15k of upgrades and although I can spend more and more I need to take it easy on buying more and more stuff.

1 Like

Its hard for me to explain the qualities of the mDAVE to my lugs it doesn’t sound digital, speakers disappear and you feel as though your in a studio feeling the atmosphere along with the band putting their final recording together for the album!

The ND5XS2 is no weak link either as a transport into the DAVE with no desire to change a thing.

2 Likes

Sometimes its knowing when to stop with this game, you have an excellent setup Dan and are in for a treat when the NDS returns.

2 Likes

It’s a gorgeous and in some ways to my mind a simple system you have with one source. I like it very much and sometimes wonder yet again if I should get rid of my CD player and power supply. I won’t as I have been there 2 times now buying and selling them!

1 Like

I have had 2 x CDS2s and 1 x CDS3. And a CD5Si. Am sure others have had dozens they have bought and sold.

This is it, we make decisions and sometimes when all is good we need to stick to it and enjoy the glorious system we have. The NDS with 555PS connected to the ND5XS2 may be so good that it blows by CDS2 and LP12 into dust. In which case it can mean either get rid of them, upgrade them or accept the different qualities of the system.

Wonderful album cover.

Just purchased the Naim DC1 cable. Sorted! Used on favourite auction site.

3 Likes

80 Likes

I wish I was good at woodwork. Well, good at anything really. I could turn timber into scrap wood though. I bet that sounds fabulous: big speakers have a certain “je ne sais quoi” as we say in Medway. Not.

Thanks. They just sound great. They make everything sound live and exciting. They are so punchy. Snare taps and kick drums just sound awesome. Very happy.

6 Likes

Putting it in to context Dan, if you had bought the Sopra 2’s new, they would have cost you the thick end of £15k on their own.

We’ve never met, but from reading your posts over time, you are quite obviously passionate about your music, and your system is not only a means to an end, but an interest/hobby as well.

You’ve not spaffed your money, nor got into debt: job’s a good’un.

I have sometimes said to my partner Elaine, (who is now Mrs. BigAl, I am proud to say) that I feel a bit bad buying this and that costing £££, when she spends very little on herself. She has always said “it’s your money, you’re not in debt, and you’re not drinking it away”.

You’ve earned that system Dan: sit back and enjoy it!
Sermon over :grinning:

8 Likes

Very nice. I recall spotting a pair of used Extremas at my local dealer more than 20 years ago. During that time I could not afford them, so I bought the SF Grand Piano they had in the store which was significantly cheaper.

1 Like