System Pics 2023

Hi Hifi-dog
I’ve never listened on the 660s so can’t compare.
I used an earlier version of the (32ohm) 990s when recording music in a home studio - I found both versions very good at revealing detail at all frequencies.
IMHO The 250ohm ones are even better - I tend to listen to them with the personal CD player when my wife is working at home.
However, they are 1/2 the price of the 660s - if you can audition a set I think they are very much worth the cost

1 Like

Wonderful system with the Marten Oscar Duo that I like very much too. Enjoy.

2 Likes

With special thanks for the insight from your audition! : )

1 Like

You are very welcome. If I remember correctly, you used to have the Atom Headphone Edition as a preamp before, now NSC 222, is it a big step forward? Are you still satisfied with the Nytech CPA 402? Naim doesn’t offer a successor for the smaller NAP 100 and NAP 200 power amplifiers yet, only the expensive new NAP 250/350, as we have heard yesterday.

Heard the Marten at a show and they were one of my favourites that day :+1:

1 Like

I suppose it’s the Martens that allow for a smaller but very transparent power amp in a not too large room, still being surprised how well it all works together, and even at low volume. Not that I am not curious how the NC250 or 350 would sound but may be at another point when requirements change.

Yes, right, and the Atom HE is still very much here although in another setup and I love it at least as much, it’s just so good. The 222 is slightly better and the preamp seems to make the difference (and if anything in the DAC implementation), and having a very nicely done phono stage helped a lot as I moved on the SN3 SCDR.

1 Like

Thank you for the answer. I am currently planning to set up a dedicated listenig room in our house and then upgrade the system. From there your experiences are very helpful. I don’t have vinyl and so the Atom Headphone Edition might also be a good first step instead of the NCS 222 which is much more expensive.

2 Likes

Adjusted my “Toe-In” a bit defining a focal point about a foot behind my head.
It has genuinely cleaned up the “Bass Ghosting” I was still experiencing, although no where near as bad as it was before the Gaia’s.
Actually has a nicer aesthetic as well😊

23 Likes

The rabbit reminds me of Donnie Darko!

1 Like

He’s my Avatar namesake. He’s the original Quicksticks complete with Promark Shira Kashi Oak drumsticks, which are the ones both Neil Peart and I used :metal:t4: :drum: :grin:

9 Likes

From this relatively minor adjustment, the sound image change is HUGE.
So much more tonal balance and finesse. The soundstage is also much bigger and as a result the whole musical experience has been elevated.
It never ceases to amaze me how the smallest of changes can make such huge differences :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Okay then…sinister connotations abolished!

1 Like

Yeah, he’s just a cute fluffy bunny Mrs QS bought me some years ago🐰

New Avatar alert. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Your wish… & all that😉

1 Like

I can’t understand why people put soft toys on their speakers.

20 Likes

I image they would keep the cats from jumping up on them! …then again some cats may want to attack.

3 Likes

Because elephants wouldn’t fit?

6 Likes

Too cute to resist Black or White background. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :+1:t2:

Good thought, though can hide upside down in the custard.