System Pics 2023

That’s a lovely looking listening room. Great.

1 Like

I did my best but my partner’s Bluetooth speaker seemed a little low rent for this place!

I have exactly the same issue , speakers on either side of the French windows , I hope you won’t mind me saying and feel that I am overly cautious when I suggest that a small rug over the speaker cable might be safer

I do appreciate you are coming off a substantial household drama

best wishes

ps I love the big rug

13 Likes

@Ian2001: Thanks and I completely agree that the cable is a bit suspect and a bit of a trip hazard. I plan to secure it out the way once I have settled on the speaker positioning. Using a smaller, temporary rug until I am happy is a great idea.

Thanks for your comments on the big rug, its been in storage for a few years so we decided to see if we could put it to good use.

1 Like

Not at all!
The lamp is actually a Yamaha Bluetooth speaker.

IMG_0529

7 Likes

Chris, you will never be low rent. This is my Qb in the dining room, doing a good job with Scott Hamilton, from where I’m sitting while monitoring the cooking. Max has sat in this very spot, a good while ago.

11 Likes

Your new Bluetooth table having replaced the Nova and PMC ?

2 Likes

Managed to squeeze the new table in there I see. Looks nice.

1 Like

Away at the moment, but really looking forward to playing with it when I get back. Stumbled into a second hand record shop earlier and bought some excellent jazz CDs :grin:

That photo is a good example of why I prefer white speaker cable to black, as it it less noticeable in nearly all domestic environments.
A rug under the door would be good, but white cable fixed to the bottom of the door frame would be more or less unnoticeable and probably wouldn’t get trodden on.

1 Like

Depends on the aesthetic you’re going for though. An industrial decor might favor visible but tidy cables out in the open. Or if going for more classic domestic harmony, bear in mind not all homes have light floors and walls. Dark floors and walls are quite common in many places and a dark cable would blend in better.

I have an almost similar arrangement with the speakers firing across the length of the room. The only difference is my room is smaller with a narrower width (~3.2m). Good idea to play around with speaker placement, perhaps pushing it further apart so that the speakers are slightly closer to the side walls. The old arrangement may have over-emphasised the bass but ultimately the bass need to sound adequately satisfying with the new arrangement. With an accurate bass reproduction, you will hear the changes in the bass, the nuance and detail. If it’s an excessive bass caused by the room, the nuance will be masked and all you hear is a big fat bass covering up everything. Ultimately it has to sound balanced, a bass with adequate weight and heft and still sounds nuanced.

3 Likes

I have had a look at the Focal Kanta N1. The spec sheet says it goes down to 46Hz. In that space it may sound a bit lacking in the bass. My Marten Duke 2s go down to 38Hz and are in a slightly narrower room from the looks of it. I have a REL sub with the Marten too although the speakers sound quite adequate without the sub.

2 Likes

The cable is a temporary arrangement. I dont think i like NACA5 so if i keep this room arrangement it will be replaced.

At some point over the weekend I will test (with a mic and REW) to see what the in room to see what the in room frequency response looks like. Much optimisation required.

I should be able to tweek the bass by moving the speakers. But the harsh top end (which i didnt have before) is not nice and i believe tougher to fix. At the moment I am blaming the cable.

1 Like

classic table & chairs there HH… very nice

Morning Dave. Just looking at the pic, did you try, with the doors closed, moving the traps in front of the closed doors rather than directly behind the speakers. I’m wondering about the effect of the open space and glass on the high end problem., obviously not a permanent solution, but wondering if there’s any change. Moving the speakers closer to the corners than usual may help, and offset that by toeing them in slightly.

Morning Sir. Hope all is well and good to hear from you. I haven’t tried that, and i will.

FYI The traps have cunningly hidden diffusion plates on the front - might work well in front of the doors.

1 Like

Thanks. I sneaked it in as I knew @Steve57 was curious.

1 Like

I thought you were resisting the temptation to post ! Nice table HH. :+1: