System Pics 2023

In theory, you take the DAC V1’s signal from its 4-pin DIN socket and route it to one of the HiCap’s 4-pin DIN sockets. They all carry the analogue signal. The closest to the 5-pin DIN socket is the best one. The signal now goes from the HiCap’s 4-pin DIN socket to the 5-pin DIN socket.

You connect the HiCap to the SNAXO with a SNAIC 5, which will carry the stereo signal from the HiCap to the SNAXO. Then you use two SNAIC 4s to route the signal to the NAP 100s.

This should work, but I can’t tell you if this configuration respects NAIM’s grounding system in full.
Please let me know when you’ve done it, I come along with a bottle of wine…
:slight_smile:

(If my suggestions are wrong, please correct me before Claudio burns a fine system.)

I think we need more details about those Keltiks, like why the B139 ? And who did the cabinet work and what was done ?

1 Like

Very nice :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m on my 4th set of Keltiks ,my first many many years ago ,like 25 years . I had them with Lk100s not ideal but still did their “thing” . I’m a habitual box swapper as folk who know me will be aware . Why I just love new experiences , I think I went to the original B&W N802 after them then various different speakers thereafter .
I love Isobariks active and have a beautifull pair that I will never part with .
The Keltiks do the Isobarik thing with more beauty ( imo) . I’m a fully signed up bass lover and am not embarrassed to admit it it .
I love when a speaker just starts to energise a room such that you can enjoy the performance from really any part of the room . I’m not a sit in a precise spot for stereo imagery and detail guy I want to feel energy rhythm beat and hear the instruments and emotion ,I couldn’t give a stuff about lyrics in my music ,does nout for me.
Please don’t think it’s just about chest thumping . If that’s what you take out of my description then that’s wrong .
There are thousands of better speakers than Keltiks out there , but my attraction is of course I like their sound and because active I can taylor the sound ,and the noise floor is s sooo low, low level listening is amazing also.
My latest pair are rebuilt with 4 new Falcon B139 bass units , rewired , re gasketed sealed ,and professionally resprayed to gloss finish .
Active Xovers are the Linn Klimax analogue Xovers .
Adding the 4 new NC250s is probably the first time I have given them what they need to drive them and for the first time 4 new matched amps not a variety of vintages all at different stages on their performance path .
I now have a clear upgrade path ,and a 332 will be added next year .

9 Likes

Well the description of what you’ve done to the Keltik’s and how you’re driving them sounds amazing. I bet the sound is equally amazing.
I toyed with the idea of going Aktiv with my Keilidh’s and the recently acquired Ninka’s, but just couldn’t face the quantity of boxes.
Instead, to supplement the limited Bass from the Keilidh’s, I added a REL Sub. I ended up with the sound I was looking for from the speakers that I was so very fond of for the last 30 years. :heart:
I hope you continue to enjoy the system you have built so far and I look forward to reading about the Pre upgrade in the future. :blush:

4 Likes

You could put the nait amp on your bottom shelf. Will give you more length on the speaker cables.

1 Like

Keilidh are superb ,a great musical performer

17 Likes

Goodness! Those Keltik’s are enormous :flushed:
At the risk of getting “Catcalls” here is a recently posted pic of my 282/300 system, complete with Keilidh’s…:blush:

:hearts:

19 Likes

Nothing new of note here, apart from my “now playing” LP cover stand in action…

26 Likes

And of course you have to find/use LS3/5As without internal crossover.

1 Like

Very nice!

1 Like

Great set up and story!

Main issue here would be the SNAXO and speakers. LS3/5as have a fairly complex passive crossover. You would need to remove that and then have the SNAXO adjusted to suit, which I’m pretty sure Naim can’t do as the LS3/5a was never mean’t to be activated.

Drop the SNAXO though and you could just use a pair of NAP100s to passively bi-amp the LS3/5as. I’m not sure how much advantage there would be here though.

3 Likes

There were active Linn Kans, back in the 80’s. Pretty sure they would have been run with a NAXO and NAP250’s… :thinking:

There were indeed, but while similar in overall shape and form, and sharing the KEF B110 mid/bass driver, a very different crossover and a very different speaker overall.

3 Likes

A nice mix of green & white :slightly_smiling_face:

29 Likes

Interesting. What’s the configuration with four 250’s? Two for bass?

Yes 2 Bass ,inner and outer per speaker

10 Likes

30 Likes

So is the configuration 1 x 250 for the bass section of each speaker then a 250 for the midrange and a 250 for treble in horizontal operation or a 250 for mid and treble vertically arranged?

Should give some serious control!