System Pics 2023

Nice close up study
Also, cosy looking room :+1:

edit : can I say nice lamps, without starting the whole lamp thing again :joy:

2 Likes

One a simple IKEA, the other Arne Jacobsen.

Thanks,

G

Very cool lamps :+1:
The IKEA lamp is nice too. We also have one at home.

Oh dear.
Didn’t wish to start anything :person_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

If anyone wonder I can confirm that a 552, 500, NDS+555PSDR do sound better in STEREO. MONO button is off and will forever be. 2024 will be such a great year! I can feel it!

40 Likes

The goods news is…Just located my six black boxes onto my new Fraim.
Still some minor adjustments and some cable dressing to be done.
The 2 x 5m Kudos KS-1 speaker cable and the NDX 2 Ethernet cable are behind the stud wall, encased in 32mm waste pipe, which runs the 7 metre length of the room, with several hidden access points en route.

The not so good news, is that I miscalculated the length of the right speaker cable when we had the huge renovations done. Would you believe it, 50cm short!:cry: A shame really, as they are virtually new.
Just ordered a new set of cables.
My Kudos Titan 606s are sitting rather pretty on their new Track Audio Isolation feet and cups. So much easier to slide the 606s into the correct position.

51 Likes

All looks very stylish and classy all in black and silver :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Nope!

2 Likes

Looks great; where’s the NAPSC?

1 Like

Just out of interest, what stack order did you go with @DJM?

1 Like

Added a few more bits today,
Rega headphone amp,
Yamaha KX580
And my TEDDY BLUE

15 Likes

Factory tour a few weeks ago, sure I saw yours being commissioned :wink:

21 Likes

Gee we won’t allowed to take any photos.

1 Like

Oooooh, are Focal exploring Active 'speakers, which run off one pre-amp per channel :grin:

The sign top-right says ‘Listening Area Statement’.

On a tangent to the above, noting how they are powered-up for whatever reason, one must question whether you hear the true qualities of this kit at shows and alike, as it’s clear from many reports, the S1-pre can take at least a month or so to ‘warm-up’. I wonder if Naim have something akin to a meals-on-wheels van which keeps them powered-up during transport :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Hi DJM, what about the new Track Audio isolation feet compared to the standard Track Audio spikes. I also have Kudos 606 with standard Track Audio spikes and shoes.

We are back in Tasmania! Since last seen, we have got a new floor in Tasmanian Oak (i.e. eucalyptus) directly on concrete, a new kitchen, a new old car and the like.

I failed to order Kudos KS-1 in time to get it before leaving, so we are still surviving on the excellent but inconvenient Naim A5. However, as the eagle-eyed will see, we have now got Isoacoustic Gaias under the Neat Xplorers.

Test tunes so far: -
Take Five
Rehab
Seasons of the Witch
Black is the Colour (Joan Baez live)
The Dream of the Blue Turtles
Three Jolly Butchers
California Dreaming
Low Rider
Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles
Take Me To The Church
Bouree (Tull)
La Grange
Homeless
Transmission
Deacon Blues
Feeling Good
Breaking Glass
Postcard Blues
Walk On By (Stranglers)
One More Red Nightmare
Scary Monsters

Conclusion?
1, Hearing those a few times today (and parts of some c.5 times) is no hardship.
2. Gaias make nearly as big an improvement here as they do on the B&W 804 D3s in Wimbledon.
3. Without Gaias, the speakers had to be 60cm from the back wall - any bass reinforcement at all was bad. With them, we had to start again - and they are now just 35cm from the (thin) wall and the SQ is better for it.
4. That means new speaker cables can be a touch shorter: now 7.0m will do fine.

24 Likes

Kit: Nait 50, Chord DAVE / MScaler, ND5XS2 and SL2s

Cables: Wave Storm Reference, AR Lunar, Naim DC1, Witch Hat Phantom, Powerline on the Nait 50.

41 Likes

The NAIT50 looks good topping the Fraim off. A very nice setup and an interesting journey you’ve been on.

Enjoy the new setup and seasons greetings to you.

5 Likes

Thanks James you too.

It sure has been a journey and whilst I love what a 500 setup brings the Nait 50 is enough for me, occasionally I hear things the bigger setup misses.

Also from the listening position the living room now doesn’t look like a HiFi shop :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Have you considered having the Fraim at a 45° angle? Then you could have the Nait in the middle of the top shelf, which would look better and mean the volume control was a bit more accessible.

8 Likes

Ooo Nigel. You have your uses. :smiling_face:

3 Likes