System Pics 2023

I’m assuming you mean the remote, rather than the little dish. Yes, you can, but at a very high price. Something like £800 if I recall. Which I didn’t pay, before you ask.

That’s fantastic! So one box does everything? Must be a miracle box. I have 13. Lol. Maybe if it could be made into one I would go for it. Or maybe not.

Come on Diggy, tell us more about the system and what it does. I am interested!

1 Like

Will post more details tomorrow.

DG…

3 Likes

Tomorrow I will order my selekt edition with integrated power amp and organik dac. I’ll say bye to the Nova NAP250DR combo. Nova goes to the office and the star from the office will be sold.

Are you satisfied with the power amplifier with the big Kudos?

1 Like

That is soooo yesterday.

Reduce your box count and be free!

Yes I am. I was quite impressed at the second demo how well the amplifier cartridges performed.

They certainly had more than enough grunt to drive the T606 speakers.

Now at home and still delivering.

DG….

1 Like

The all in one linn box has a transparency to die for, would have gone for one but I missed the Naim sound - it’s like Naim demands to be listened to where as the linn, as wonderful as it is, was a tad polite for my liking.
I do love the concept of an all in one box though.
Gary

4 Likes

It’s perhaps worth noting that DG’s initial thoughts relate to detail and separation, which are very hifi terms. Nothing about musical involvement and the ability to stir emotion. If the Linn has that as well, it would be worth considering. I can’t say that detail and separation mean much to be, and it’s certainly not something I’d consider with live music. I don’t really want separation, I want the musicians to be playing together, sad music to make me sad and happy music to make me happy. That’s what Naim is so good at. Maybe Linn is too.

2 Likes

Linn? One box? Convenience? “Separation?”

No Pasaran!

Then raise the Green/White standard high.
Within its shade we’ll live and die,
Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,
We’ll keep the NAIM flag flying here.

9 Likes

welcome to the forum and what a wonderful system you have

Best wishes

Ian

2 Likes

What are your speakers?

DG…

@Dan_M

More details as promised.

The system now comprises of;

• Linn Selekt DSM; Edition Hub (Utopik) / Stereo Power Amplifier Cartridge (x2) / Organik DAC (x2)
  • Chord Co SignatureX Mains Lead
  • English Electric EE8 Network Switch
  • Chord Co EE1 Network Noise Isolator
  • Chord Clearway Streaming Cables
  • Farad Super3 Linear Power Supply
  • Chord Co Shawline Mains Cable
  • Kudos Titan 606 Speakers
  • Kudos KS-1 Speaker Cable
  • Focal Elear Headphones
  • Dedicated Mains Supply

The Selekt DSM can be configured in many ways by using up to three modular cartridges and three levels of DAC. I chose to go active and therefore have two Stereo Power Amplifier Cartridges with two Organik DACs.

The speaker cables plug directly into each of these Class D Amplifier cartridges, which deliver 50w into 8 Ohms. I’m using it active, but passive would be just one cartridge.

It has plenty of inputs at the rear including;

• 1off Ethernet
  • 1off WiFi
  • 1off BlueTooth
  • 1off HDMI ARC
  • 1off Line Level RCA
  • 1off MM Phono
  • 1off MC Phono
  • 2off Toslink
  • 2off SPDIF
  • 1off USB Audio
  • 2off Exact Link

It has the following sources;

• LAN
  • Internet Radio
  • Tidal
  • Qobuz
  • Calm Radio
  • Spotify Connect
  • NetAux

For a one box system, it’s very powerful and versatile, easily driving the Kudos Titan 606 Loudspeakers.

I was initially cautious after the
first demo as to whether it would drive the speakers OK, but this was admirably demonstrated at the second demo just to listen to the system as it would be at home.

It is also nice have one box instead of ten, with the resultant improvements in cable management. It also gives you back a large amount of real estate, plus it is aesthetically pleasing.

One of the big things I like about the Selekt is its future proofing. Like its cousin, the LP12, the Selekt makes upgrading quite straight forward by being modular. If in the future, a new DAC is introduced, you only need to upgrade the DAC module by part exchanging that for the newer one.

At the beginning of this process, I had no thought of making this radical change. Initially was looking to upgrade the Linn Klimax DS/3 (Dynamik) Katalyst to Organik / Utopik. However, things developed quite quickly and the plans changed accordingly.

As previously mentioned it is very detailed, but with controlled bass. Listening to Jazz, for example, percussion is very clear and defined. The separation is very good and you can position the musicians very easily, working away together. Musicality, it is very good and makes very enjoyable listening with your toes tapping to the beat. The emotion is there and draws you in wanting to listen more.

I was trying out the headphones with it last night and didn’t even hear Mrs DG come in from work, I was enjoying it and involved that much.

For me, it has been a great move and suits us, but also appreciate that it might be for everyone as it is a radical change.

I am more than happy with the result as it is just so enjoyable.

Now, back to the Jazz.

DG…

12 Likes

I admire your patience Nigel, being on the 3rd logo bar…Personally, I didn’t feel you should have ever been doing that yourself – as I wrote elsewhere, I was climbing the walls back in ‘18 after three replacement Novas to correct the issue, not just logo bars…!

Good spot on the case defect. It seems a big coincidence for the same issue to reoccur, but perhaps it is just that….
Surprising that a run over with fingers at assembly didn’t catch the issue though….

Well done. And credit to Naim for the service.

SC

That’s very good customer service.

DG…

They are PMC twenty5.21i.

1 Like

Thanks. The incredibly helpful Naim Support person did exactly that, at my suggestion, and went to production and checked Novas before the bar was attached. That’s how it was confirmed that mine was wonky. I guess it’s just one that got away. All companies make mistakes, but it’s how they are resolved that matters.

10 Likes

Spot on. :+1:

2 Likes

My previous speakers were the PMC Twenty.23 in Oak.

DG…

10 Likes

It’s hard to price the options online; are we looking at about £18,000 for your Organik/active setup?

It may not sound like Naim but of course that’s to be expected. I have thought of Linn at various times but we also have three Qbs around the house, and Mrs HH uses multiroom a lot, which has prevented it being any more than thoughts.

I had a pair of those a while back. The 25i series is considerably better I feel.