System Pics 2024

Been a while since I posted my system…

Since last time I’ve moved up from a Nait XS2 to a Supernait 2, which is fed from a CD5X (both HiCap’d).

There’s a Planar 3 in there for all things analogue, and a set of Hifiman Edition XS for late night grooving too!

I think the Neat Motive SE2 speakers are now out-gunned by the rest of the kit, so likely look to audition something more suitable down the line - I hear ProAC Response are a good match, so will definitely add them to the shortlist.

In my journey from a Nait 5i all the way to Supernait (while I adore the Supernait) I think the Nait XS2 is probably the sweet spot in terms of bang for buck. Particularly when you add a well matched set of speakers and an outboard power supply - it is a fantastic thing.

74 Likes

Great photo set
Particularly the close up work
Nice :+1:

1 Like

Using the Uniti Star with a LP12 and ND555 as sources. NAP 300 is having a break whilst the 552 is boxed up and going away for a repair. Sounds better than it should, proving source first still rules :flushed:

35 Likes

Some magic Naim dust there Mike :grin:

What happened to your 552 Mike?

The story is over here:

1 Like

If stacking directly, you might get a free upgrade placing the amp on top of the CD player. Allows heat to rise into open air and the weight of the amp provides some damping to the CD player.

4 Likes

So Nait50 soon then :sunglasses: More
or less everyone that send their pre for service are surprised that the difference seem so small between expensive and “cheap”.

SL2s substituted for the SBLs

37 Likes

Now, I know auditory memorial is not the most reliable of things, but I’d swear that the upgraded LP12 (pretty much at Seleck level) through the Star sounds better than the old LP12 through the 552/300. Even the ND555 through Star beats the NDX2/XPSDR/SN2 set up I had I reckon. Crazy stuff. Gosh, can’t wait to run the LP12 through the 552/300 - it will be immense.

Well, no doubt if I push the Star hard, things might slip a bit. But no doubt, better sources on the Star are very good, and in surprising areas - detail, bass control. I was playing Rumours on the LP12 as reference material, and I had a WTF moment - it sounds this good through a Star!

5 Likes

Yep always for me source first

Here in Sydney I’ve hooked up the LP12 ARO/ Superline/ SupercapDR/armageddon to the Nait 50

Wonderful music indeed, push it hard though who knows :flushed:

2 Likes

I hope your 552DR is fixed quickly @Mike_S and locally! Its always nice to have a few bits floating around for backup, nice combo by the way, Star / ND555 you must be the first.

1 Like

Wow, that is a meticulously clean lounge! Good to see this thread is back on topic showcasing some of the tidiest living rooms in the country (and around the world)!

I better close this tab quickly before my wife sees and I get lumbered cleaning ours up to the same standard :joy:

8 Likes

I had never thought of stacking the CD player under the amp.
I’ll give it a go - thanks!

It was standard practice 30 years ago when I worked in a hifi shop. For the reasons stated.

I’ve never compaired but also never had reason to do it differently.

Downsizing? Quite the best bit of kit Naim has produced simply amazing.

38 Likes

I read about your misfortune with your SL2s, but casting aside any difference in performance, I think the styling of the SBLs is way, way better. A real design classic. I wish I’d kept mine.

4 Likes

Thanks Clive. Its the first time the SBLs have been setup in this room, myself and Vicki prefer the look and finish of the SBL over the SL2 in this space.
Many years ago a close friend gave me these SBLs, he owned them for nearly 20 years!!

7 Likes

I agree. I also rather like the side table supporting your Muso. Can you tell us a more about it?

Yes I bunked off work in the CIty and nipped over to a sort of retro shop in Chiswick around 2015. They wrapped it up and I got on the tube and then on the Hi Speed train down to Hythe on the Kent coast.

Amazing how you walk along carrying a table and it becomes a magnet to every man woman child and beast.

But got it home safely it’s a Danish teak telephone table.

5 Likes